Friday, April 19, 2013

Love, Nate's Mommy


I have a special place in my heart for the mommies of sick kids.  I lived in Children's Hospital for 25 days.  I know what it's like to fight for your child's life.  It's lonely.  It's terrifying.  It's sad.  The days are long and the stress that it takes on your mind and body is indescribable.

In the past, my kids have raised money to buy special toys, blankets, gifts for the kids that are fighting for their lives.  Even before Nate.  It's just something we did and continue to do.  When Nate was in the hospital, he received a few special blankets and stuffed animals.  He never got to enjoy them...but I hold them dear.

But it seems like the mommies are forgotten.  I have never seen anyone do anything for them.  I wanted to change that.  Even if it's on a small scale.  Even if I can only bless a few. 

So, I put together twelve little gift bags for Mother's Day.  I'm hoping to be able to do a few more in the next couple of weeks but as of today, I have twelve.  The gift includes a large gourmet chocolate bar and a aloe vera lip balm from Trader Joe's and a large and small lotion from Bath and Body Works.  Four things.  That's it.  Simple.  But I'm hoping that the gesture will give love, encouragement and hope.

My most favorite part of this entire project was doing the gift tags.  I loved creating them.  Mostly, I loved being able to sign it "Love, Nate's Mommy".  I never get to do that...

7 comments:

Grami's girls said...

My sunday school class has a project called Empty Arms. We give gift baskets to moms who have lost babies or children. In it is a book about losing a child, a letter from our pastor and lots of little goodies for her, plus a small stuffed animal. It has been a huge blessing to our class has become quite a ministry. They are given to anyone we hear about, any church, any color, anybody.

brigette said...

I love this idea! ! You are so right the mamas do get forgotten. You are amazing! ! Hugs

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a beautiful idea. Whoever receives these will be blessed.

Simply Shannon said...

That's very kind and surely most comforting. The people I noticed being forgotten when my nephew was in the hospital for most of his 17 months on earth were the fathers. My dear brother slept in a chair, woke before dawn to drive 40 miles to work, then back after work. Perhaps you could do a little something at fathers day, too. Or have the men's group take on this project.

Simply Shannon said...

I hope that earlier post did not sound awful. You are so right that the heartbroken, exhausted mothers need comfort and nice surprises. Doing things like the bags in your child's memory is awesome.

Christie said...

What a wonderful idea!

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, Nate's mom.