Thursday, March 6, 2014

Nate's special day...

 A couple of days before Nate's birthday my BIL found a friend of a friend that worked at Disney and would be able to "sign in" 3 of us.  We told the kids that it wasn't a sure thing...we didn't want them to be crushed if it didn't work out.  Either way we were going to do a balloon release at his brick.

 Everyone picked their color of balloons and wrote their own special notes
 (Brady will get to do his own next year).
 We sang Happy Birthday and watched them float away (less tears this year).
 It was a beautiful BLUE SKY day!!!!!  
So grateful that God gave us that...last week was yucky and stormy!
 We tried to explain what it was all about...he just liked watching the balloons float away.
 The friend of a friend of a friend worked out!!!  
We made it into the park!  
It was ridiculously expensive for the other tickets but we decided it was worth it.

***As a side note...I seriously wish that Disney would reconsider their price increases (basically doubled the price of annual passes).  There are some families that save for years to visit that amazing place.  And then there are people like us...where we started a tradition of spending Nate's bday at the park each year to help us get through a really tough day which was thwarted by profit margins.  Please reconsider Disney.  Oh how I wish I could just have lunch with the CEO one time...It's not all about paper and numbers...
 The kids took turns wearing Nathan's birthday button.  They love when people walking by wish them a happy birthday!
 Late lunch at one of our favorite places.  My kids earned free kids meals from the Summer Reading Program at the Library which really helped out (kids meals are $7.99 there!!!) 
 Lots of emotions this week with my oldest.  
She is so protective of this little one.
 We had them bring a special dessert for Nate.  
Ironically, there was also an empty seat at our table since Brady's high chair was at the end.  
And...check out the background - A beautiful RAINBOW!  
We know that God's looking after him.
 The kids and I made cupcakes (everyone decorated their own) and we had a BUZZ party in Tomorrowland. 
I usually end our day with a picture of the kids holding their Disney balloons.  We stayed until the park closed at 8pm (we typically don't stay until closing).  Evidentally, they don't sell balloons after 7:45 (all the other stores stay open 1 hour past the park closure EXCEPT for balloons).  I was so bummed!  

We went to guest relations and I begged them to figure out a way to get my kids balloons.  It's a tradition!!!!  They said that if we came back today...they would get them for us.  My hubby is going to try and drive up there this afternoon (30 min. each way).  LAME.

Again...I really need to have lunch with the CEO...or they need to go on Undercover Boss.  Who wants to drag around a balloon when you are going on rides (they won't let you on anyway).  You should be able to buy a balloon on the way out of the park!!!!

Well that was our day.  We've made it through six of them.  
So grateful we had the distraction of Disney...I know that one year we won't be able to go and I dread that.  It's much easier at the "Happiest Place on Earth".

4 comments:

mel @ the larson lingo said...

I am SO glad you were able to spend Nate's birthday at Disney! Happy Birthday, sweet boy! Praying for you during this hard week. xoxo.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad you were able to go and it looks like it was a nice celebration.....((HUGS))

Sarita Boyette said...

Happy birthday in Heaven to precious Nate! So glad you got to go to Disney to celebrate. xoxo

Christy said...

I'm so glad you got to the park! What a special day--you are such a great mama for going through all that you do to make it so special. You never give up hope and your kids see that. You are setting such a great example for them. Hugs to your first born. I know it's tough and the responsibility she is putting on herself.

thinking of your beautiful family,
christy