Wednesday, July 30, 2014

my highlight reel?


Last weekend at church the message was about our highlight reels.  How we, as a society, tend to only share the highlights of our life with most people and purposely leave out the dysfunction reality.  Evidently this is especially true on social media.   
Amazing pictures = amazing life!?!

I feel like the opposite of that.  I feel like what I share on social media is complete dysfunction.  My sorrow, my anxiety, my fears, my sadness, my loneliness.    Not exactly my highlight reel.

Here's some insight into my latest highlight reel - or not...

I have been complaining all Summer about only having one car (my 10 year old suburban bit the dust almost two months ago).   So we have been sharing my husbands minivan.  A minivan that I do not like.  A minivan that I do not feel safe in (I was in two serious car accidents before and only feel safe in big trucks).  A minivan that he promised that I would never have to drive (it was supposed to be his car).  And now guess who's spending hours a day driving kids to sports?  Oh ya...and just to let you know how much that minivan loves me driving it...broken cooling system, flat tire, new battery & broken automatic door.  It was completely FINE until I started driving it!

Four of our kids are involved in high end competitive sports.  Sports that are extremely expensive and time consuming.  So much money that we have had to change our lifestyle.  We re-worked our entire budget and many line items were removed.  Car payments were one of them.  So we are still sharing.  Committed to living within our means and committed to allowing our kids to do what they LOVE.  Even when we have to do without.

WOW that sounds like something on a highlight reel...I'm such a wonderful mother that makes sacrifices for her children.  NOT!!!  My attitude is crummy.  Ungrateful.  Needing an adjustment.  BIG TIME!  All I can think of is how I want that new Suburban.  The 2015.  The fancy one with a backup camera that we waited for years to be released but ended up being WAY over our budget.

I know that we will figure it out.  I know that God will honor our commitment to be wise with what He has given us.  I know...
 
I do have amazing highlights.  I really do.  

I do have a good life.  I am grateful.  Truly.

Highlights are just that...reality is the 24/7.

My struggles in life will never be as difficult as others.   There will always be someone worse off.  And who am I kidding...driving my husbands minivan is not really a difficulty.

Seriously...someone needs to smack me over the head!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said!

Christy said...

I know the feeling. I don't like social media, either. I love Instagram because I love taking and editing pictures. But the social side of it is something that sucks me in every now and then. I have to step back and take a break. I've always used my blog for this raw outlet of my feelings and things I need to get off my mind. And when reading blogs, I think people are more privy to the fact that this is a snapshot in the life of the blogger. It's a brief moment in time that they have sat down to write. On other forms of social media, it's such a short blurb that gets fed to so many people so quickly that people get wrapped up in thinking it's the 24/7. I enjoy reading your blog and catching up with you. We met for a very special reason and you've helped me get through some pretty difficult times in my life just by knowing you "know". You get me. Unlike so many of my IRL friends.

xoxo