Easter fun!
March is FINALLY over. I am so incredibly relieved.
We survived all of our 2nd anniversaries and even enjoyed ourselves quite a bit throughout the month. We didn't have as many people helping us through the month of March as we did last year. But that was okay. We are stronger now and not as needy. We are just so grateful for those that did volunteer to be our friends. I wish that they could all get an award. They deserve it!!!
Last week was the roughest. It was the 2 year anniversary of Nate's death, the anniversary of his funeral and ... Easter.
Easter is a bittersweet holiday for us. It's special because it's the one and only Holiday that Nate was with us and difficult because it's another "holiday". I found myself reflecting a lot that day about how special our Easter was 2 years ago. It was extremely difficult to be in the Hospital on a holiday. However, Nate was off the ventilator and we got to hold him that day. That is a memory that will be forever etched into my memory. Easter and holding my sweet Nathan. Those will always go hand in hand.
This Easter, I attended my first family gathering in 2 years (with the exception of my FIL's funeral). We only stayed an hour and let's just say that I survived. We planned some fun activities to help the time pass and the kids enjoyed themselves despite not knowing who most of the people were. I am glad that I am who I am now. I am glad that I am not the same person that I was. Attending events like that serve as a good reality check. I know that I am on the path that I want to be. I just don't fully trust myself yet. I want to be polite. Just polite. Nothing more and nothing less.
It's been a huge relief getting past last week and then Easter. Now we're on Spring Break. No homework, school schedules, sports (4 of them), and no early mornings - yipee!!! We have been super busy going to Disneyland, the movies, Chuck E Cheese, ice skating and playing video games (them not me). I had a bunch of free passes to these fun places and I think that we used them all! It has been such a wonderful week. I don't want it to end. I keep telling myself that Summers coming and I can't wait to do this everyday!!!
*** You may have noticed that Kyla has a cast on her arm in the above photo. She fell off the swing 2 weeks ago and broke it (it was a crooked break and had to be "re-set" by a specialist). She had just finished a 2 hour advanced gymnastics class where she was flipping all over the place and doing all kinds of dangerous stuff. And then she falls off our backyard swing while eating a snack. Crazy! She's been a trooper though. No complaining and it comes off in 2 more weeks! Figures that we would have to deal with more medical drama during the month of March-ugh!!!
8 comments:
Glad you are experiencing some relief...I know how hard those anniversaries can be! I also can relate to only being able to muster being polite with certain people. I'm there with a few people as well. And...I think that's o.k....sometimes it's the best we can do.
Love and prayers for you...
Your kids look so cute!
I am sorry for the sad times, I know they are hard. Everything else looks like it was a wonderful Easter and a great Spring Break.
I'm glad to hear this March was better! You have such a sweet family and deserve a break and enjoy each other and have fun!
Poor Kyla! I hope her arm is in tip top shape when it's time for the cast to come off!
Glad to hear your week on break has been fun! Have a great Friday! ;)
I am so happy to hear that you feel a sense of relief now that March is over. I can sense my tension rising since May is coming up. Our sweet Liberty was born on May 24th..its so hard to think she would be 3 years old this year. It truly breaks my heart. I just want it to hurry up and pass so that my heart can get a little rest until October comes around. The anniversaries/b-days/holidays/etc are NOT easy are they!?!
And good for you for getting the courage to go and be 'polite' - that truly says a LOT!
Hugs to you!!
Kelly
Anniversary times are tough and both of mine are around holidays which I always have that to remind me. I'm glad that you found some fun times too. My kids have been on a 3 wk break they attend a yr round school and I love 3 wks off every 9 wks. Sometimes I need that long break as well as them.
Hoping Kyla gets better soon.
Thinking of you and look for a package this coming wk.
{{HUGS}}
Caroline
March if over, here's to April! You've done a lot of fun things! Awesome!! And you survived the family event!
That'll be good for Kyla to finally get that cast off! I bet it's itchy.
I found your blog via a comment that you left on Jill's "Pathway to Purpose". I found Jill's blog through Lynnette Kraft's blog. So, it is pretty clear to me that God needed me to find you today.
Your family is beautiful...your son Nate is one of the most handsome baby boys I have ever seen. I am sorry for your loss.
The more blogs that I read, the more comfort I draw from so many of you who have lost a child like I have. Different situations...same pain. My son, Mark Allen, drown in Aug. of 2008. It still doesn't seem that he can actually be gone...any of us would have given our own life to save him. To have our son gone when his death could have been prevented is an extra dagger in my heart each and every day. I always considered my husband and I to be so protective and watchful...even our 9 year old is hardly allowed out of our sight. This situation was different and there were other, very responsible adults watching Mark also. One of those times where "everyone" was watching him and then he was gone...so fast. I will always be baffled that he was able to slip away from so many people who loved him more than the world.
Sorry, you didn't need that lengthy explanation.
I read your post on "drowning" and I appreciate it. I have felt the same way. There are a select few who have stuck by us, no matter what...but even they don't know what to do so much of the time. Mostly, I believe it is because nobody could ever imagine how awful this pain is until they have been there. The mind and heart have no capacity to feel sorrow so intense until they are thrust into it. Before Mark died, I didn't know that pain this intense even existed...when it happened, I thought that I was going to die from my broken heart...literally. Some days, I still do.
I have noticed that so many of our friends love us so much and they would do anything for us if we actually asked...they don't know what to do on their own. At the smallest sign of happiness on our part, the people closest to us are happy to see that we are functioning and they imagine that we are getting through this. Even though nothing could be further from the truth, they cling to it because they want to see us happy.
I have decided that, at this point in our grief journey, I find it easier to just pretend around most everyone. Pretend to be functioning...pretend to be happy. The sadder people find me to be, the more they are uncomfortable and the more they stay away. I guess I know that there is nothing that anyone can do or say that will make any of it better anyway...I don't even know what to ask people to do when they do offer.
I am glad that you were able to put the complexity of loss into such understandable words for those who have not been there. Through reading your posts, I am sure that so many will be able to help someone dealing with this awful tragedy. Thank you.
Angie
www.missingmarkallen.blogspot.com
Post a Comment