Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What would it look like?

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Matthew 5: 4

This was the title of our sermon last weekend.  I was so happy that this lesson was being taught.  It's not a common lesson.  There are many people that have not learned it.  It's a lesson that I learned the hard way.

When someone is hurting
       RUN TO them
                      NOT FROM them

We spent so much of our first year mourning by ourselves.  It made a difficult process almost impossible.  People didn't want to be with us.  We were sad.  We were broken.  Why be with people like that when you can be with people that make you laugh and feel good about yourself?  I suppose that in our society, it's natural to be drawn to the good.  We found that it was only truly exceptional people that were willing and able to be our friends while we were stuck in our pit of grief. 

This past week I have been wondering what our world would look like if people would naturally flock to those who were hurting.  Not only to those that are physically hurting from disease but to those that are in true emotional pain. 


  • What would it look like if we chose to spend our time sending a kind email to a hurting friend instead of watching a funny clip on UTube? 


  • What would it look like if we picked up the phone and called a hurting friend instead of spending 10 minutes waiting in line at Starbucks for a coffee? 


  • What would it look like if every time we went to the grocery store we picked up a "I'm thinking about you" card instead of spending that money on a some sort of fattening, processed junk food item? 


  • What would it look like if once a month we invited our hurting friends over for dinner instead of calling our "fun" friends to hang out?


  • What would it look like if we presented ourselves with authenticity and honesty instead of falsely and superficially so that we were easier to relate to?


  • What would it look like if we spent an hour sitting on the couch wiping the tears of a hurting friend instead of watching a reality TV show?

  • What would it look like if we made cookies for a stranger in pain and left them on their door with a sweet note instead of eating them ourselves?

We all feel confined by a lack of time and resources.  People often say if I had more time, I would help others.  Or, if I had more money, I would do something nice for someone.  The truth is that for the most part, we spend our time and money on things that are important to us.  I hope that someday, we will consider the hurting to be important.


Ecclesiasties 7:2

Its is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart.





9 comments:

Mary said...

I understand the authenticity thing. SO many of my friends from church read my blog right after Adelle died, but then they got tired of hearing my grief and stopped. It was no longer fun to hear that I was still hurting 6 months later...

Katy Larsen said...

So true. So very, very true. xxx

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What would it look like if this information could be on Oprah. That is my dream for all of you because if anyone can get this information out there it's her! I have written several times but I don't get a response. I'm trying.

Jennifer said...

Good thoughts here. I'm glad this was addressed on Sunday. It definitely is one of those things that needs to be talked about more. Especially the authenticity thing, especially in the church. I'm so tired of it being thought of as "sinful" to be struggling with things. No wonder we put on a "church" face and don't get real with people.

Maggie said...

So very true. XO

Kelly said...

Im nearly in tears as I read this because I feel like 'they get it...they get ME'. Just reading your words and then the comments below has been such 'relief' for me in a sense that I am not alone.

I get so tired of putting on the 'happiness mask' - so tired of pretending like I don't hurt, that Liberty's death isn't killing me inside. And I can totally relate to Jennifer who said she is 'tired of being thought of as sinful to be struggling with things' - that is right where I find myself!!

Thank you for being so open and honest! I loved this post!

Hugs

Mary said...

I often feel so alone. Everyone tells me that I live so far away. That it takes to long to get to my house. But, I have to make the trip just as far to see them. They have time for parties and other people but they don't make the same effort to make a call or visit. I would prefer that they spend ten minutes with me then to be left alone.

Holly said...

I'm glad for the sermon that was spoken. I don't think it is a topic that is spoken on enough. It would be so different if people would go to those who hurt instead of turning away.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those great thoughts!!!

Michelle