A week ago, my kids were on break and I took them to Disneyland for the day. My twins gymnastics coach also coordinates the parade at California Adventure Park. She asked us to meet up with her just before the parade started. As she welcomed all of my kids, she handed each of them a special Mickey ears hat. But these weren't just regular hats. She had each of the characters in the parade autograph them which made them extra special. My kids were absolutely thrilled as she handed one to each of them.
Then...something remarkable happened. Something that I would have never imagined in my wildest dreams. With a smile on her face, she turned to me and looked me directly in the eyes (something few people do -- especially under these circumstances). While our eyes were connected, and with a smile on her face, she handed me the 5th hat from her hand. As she handed it to me she said... "for Nate".
I couldn't believe it. That was the first time that someone had acknowledged Nate as BEING one of my 5 kids. That was the first time that someone had given a gift TO him. That was the first time that I really felt like someone recognized my son as being a "part" of our family (not part of our past).
As I looked at the hat, I noticed that it was from their "Year of a Million Dreams" promotion 2 years ago. They were probably overstock that she found in a store room. But, I don't believe that she found them on accident. First of all, the background of the hat is blue sky which is meaningful to me. Second, there are white clouds over the blue sky which is where my kids point to when they talk of their brother being in Heaven. And finally, I turned the hat around and noticed the date:
2008 = Two Thousand andNate
I didn't have the words to tell her what her small gesture meant to me. I tried to thank her but I was completely caught off guard. She barely even knows our family and only knows Nate's basic story. I was shocked that she would do something like this. That she would touch my heart in such a profound way.
Before the parade started, she walked me and the kids over to a special viewing area where all of the parade characters gave us special attention as they passed by. It was an experience that my kids will never forget and it was a gesture that I will never forget.
Going forward I don't expect people to treat Nate in the same way as my other kids. I know that there is a difference and it would be awkward for people to start buying him gifts. But for this moment, I felt honored to be the mother of 5. For this moment, it didn't feel like someone was missing. For this moment, my heart felt complete. I can't imagine that there will ever be another gesture that touches my heart in such a deep and profound way. Ever.
22 comments:
That's a beautiful story... praying for you! Nate is in a better place... He is and will be always one of your FIVE KIDS. You are a blessed woman Trisha... 4 kids {and a hubby} here on earth to love on, and 1 waiting for you when God calls you home!
Blessings in Him who does ALL THINGS WELL,
Charity
That is a beautiful story. How sweet and that is exactly how God works. I have chills!
I love when amazing things like that happen. See....God is still watching over you my friend.
Beautiful story----that about brings tears to my eyes. Those are the kinds of miracles that just happen, with really no explanation, but I am glad it happened to you and it made you smile!
This was so special-thanks for sharing and for your prayers. We go tomorrow to the cancer Dr. I have never wanted so much for a day to be here and done and not all at the same time. I did pretty well today until tonight when I was packing incase they need to keep us overnight to do more tests then I began to cry. I am scared and yet I am trying to trust God.
I am praying for you-I wonder how you carry on even with God when you lose a baby. I am so sorry for your loss-I am so happy that she did this for you and that you have this to remember such a great time with your kids-all 5 for even one day.
Hope you have a blessed day-keep us in your prayers around 2-5 just to cover it all. lol
Love
Jill
That is such a beautiful story. I think that it's such a perfect example of how something simple that's done with love, can be so profoundly meaningful to another. It's definitely a reminder for me to always think of ways that I might be able to reach out in love to others. Thank you for sharing that!
I can't think of another person that is more deserving..... I am touched, also. Sending love to you, and also gratitude for that woman whom was so kind to you.
That totally gave me chills. Trisha, what an amazing and touching gift. I am praying for your friend to be so blessed by her thoughtfulness, an I know she will be. I'm so thankful that you had such a wonderful moment, and that made your day. How incredibly sweet...
How wonderful. I love when people remember Hannah and I can only imagine how much this meant to you.
Trisha,
I am speechless... that doesn't happen often, but Wow! Just speechless! How beautiful :)
How wonderful, it means so much when people mention our loved ones but this was super special. A preciuos gift. Thank you for sharing because although i am crying the tears are happy ones. xxx
Trisha, that is just so amazing that she did that. For you, for your kids, and for Nate. I don't think she can even imagine how much that meant to you. And the hats that she picked! So perfect!
I totally loved this.
That is so precious and heart felt. I don't think people know how important it is for our children's names to be mentioned, to be counted in our family, to be remembered. What a gift that woman gave you....
That is so cool, Trisha. What a special gift for a special little boy. I am so happy that this woman did this for you. So happy!
xo
That is SO awesome! I love it when God blesses us through people and reminds us that He's always there!
Oh, Trisha...this is so beautiful and just totally blessed me. What an amazing, thoughtful...perfect gift. Moments like that remind me that God sees and He knows what we need. And...He lays it on the hearts of others to bless us in the perfect way. What a beautiful, willing heart this individual has to do such a thing! I love that Nate was remembered and included in a special way...
Thank you for sharing this...what a sweet blessing!!
It feels so good to have others acknowledge our babies who have left us too soon. What a wonderful story...thank you for sharing!
I love that this made you HAPPY!
Michelle
That is the sweetest thing :)
I know it means the world to *us* mom's that have lost a child that someone remembers them.
That someone else mentions his/her name besides us.
(((HUGS))) I'm so glad that blessed your heart.
WOW I don't know how God does it but He really does know exactly what each of us need & want. What a wonderful story of His love.
Wow! That's is wonderful that she did that for all FIVE of your babies!! This brought tears to my eyes.
Wow, what a special gift!
Post a Comment