Thursday, January 20, 2011

it's over when it's over

This was some of the best advice that I have ever received.  A few months ago, I was discussing my life with someone.  Not someone close.  Just someone that cared enough to listen.

I went on for some time listing all of the tough situations and circumstances that we have had to contend with over the past 3 years.  The list is long.  Very long. 

I further explained that it felt like Satan had taken hold of my life.  That all of this bad stuff was happening because of him.  In an effort to dismiss him, I had recently started rebuking him throughout my day.  And I was doing this ALL throughout my day...for weeks!  What I didn't realize was that I was giving him more attention than I was giving God.  Unintentionally of course.  But it was true.  As hard as I was trying to align my life with God's and to focus on Him, I realized that I was actually doing the opposite. 

The person with whom I was speaking, went through a very difficult period of time herself a few years back.  She spoke from experience when she told me "it's over when it's over".  It took me a few minutes to ingest the words but I eventually realized that she was right.  She told me to stop working so hard because there was nothing that I could do to end this trial.  This rough period of time.  All I can do is to try and find JOY amongst the difficulty.  It's not natural for me but even in the worst circumstances, life can be good. 

So I began trying to live that way a few months ago.  It's true.  It works.  This trial will be over when God decides that it's over.  Until then, I will just live my life and continue to learn all of the lessons that God wants to teach me along the way. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have only just recently come to this same realization myself. What I have found is that it is so much less stressful and less exhausting to accept that God is in control, even of my trials.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is wonderful advice and I am so glad that you are trying to live that way. Let's not give Satan the time of day! God is in control.

Veronica said...

That was a great piece of advice though difficult to come to terms with, I'm sure. I'm so thankful for the hope we have in the Lord no matter what our circumstance. Imagine if we didn't have Him at all. I keep clinging to His words and I'm so thankful He promised He'd never leave us!

Still thinking of you often and meant to tell ya I received your Christmas card! Beautiful!

Holly said...

Very true Trisha! We can try to control it but only God has real control over everything in our lives.

Mrs. Frogster said...

Hello! I just found your blog through the Writer Chic and am so encouraged by what I have been reading here. I spent quite a bit of time reading through Nathan's story and was a little shaken by how similar it is to my nephew Jack's story. I just got back from baby Jack's funeral in Florida - a supremely emotional time as you well know. Despite my own emotions, I want to be a sister who helps, says the right things, and is there for her brother and his family during this really hard time. Thank you for your posts on how I can be there for them instead of just fading into the background.