Sunday, May 11, 2014

for some very special mama's

I thought long and hard about this post.  I struggled internally.  I teach my kids that it's not a good deed if you get credit for doing it.  You see, I do not want this post to be seen as boasting...especially by God.  What I seek it to someday stand before God, with Nate by my side and to hear Him say "Good job faithful servant".  That is what I seek.

But...God has also put it on my heart to share this post because to many, Mother's Day is about brunch and flowers and gifts.  It KNOW it used to be for me.  Maybe this post will spark someone else to do something similar...something better.

What I hope that this post will do is remind some of you that Mother's Day is not only about celebrating ourselves and our Moms.  But it's about acknowledging those moms whose children may no longer live on Earth and encouraging those moms who are in a battle to save their children's lives.  Hallmark doesn't make cards for those moms (at least that I have ever seen).  Many are forgotten.  Looked over.  Invisible.  It's more fun to focus on the brunch and the flowers and the gifts.

Today, 21 very special mommies will receive this little gift bag.


They aren't the mommies that I wanted to give them to.  I wanted the bags to go to Children's Hospital Los Angeles.  At the last minute, the family that was going to deliver them for me had a change of plans (their daughter's cancer appointment was moved back a week)God clearly closed that door and opened another one.  My pediatricians colleague was going to Children's Hospital Orange County this weekend (the hospital that made a mistake...leading to Nate's death).  This is not my favorite place.  I have a hard time thinking about donating anything to this hospital.  But, it was clear that this was where the gift bags were supposed to go.  So...off they went.

With the help of a donation from Trader Joe's (love that place), I was able to make 15 gift bags.  I must also thank a very special person (S.M.) for buying the goodies to make 6 more.  It's 4 less than last year.  Not the direction that I was hoping for.  But God knows which 21 moms need a little extra love today.  I need to remind myself...it's not about the numbers.



Special hugs to all you mommies out there.  Whether your child lives on Earth or in Heaven I hope that today is blessed. XOXOXO


PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS POST.