How are you doing?
This is probably the most commonly asked question in our society today. It's freely said from checkers as I pay for my groceries. It's often said as I walk past other moms at school. And now it's asked by people that I used to be close with.
I think that the majority of time "how are you doing?" is asked rhetorically. The asker is not looking for an actual response. They are just simply engaging in a typical verbal exchange. There's usually no effort or sincerety behind it. It's just a sort of habit that people have picked up.
It's not a harmful question. In fact, it's actually nice. The difficulty comes when you want to give a response other than "fine". That's where the anxiety builds. A seemingly innocent question turns into a mountainous dilemma:
- Should you just say "fine" even if you are not and move on? Doing so feels like a betrayal to your aching heart and you know that this is a lie. But, you also know that this person really doesn't care what the response is. They really don't want to know the answer. They are just tying to be kind.
- Or...should you be honest and say "not great" or "today is tough"? To be honest, this is how I often respond and it is definitely uncomfortable. It's an uncommon and unexpected response. The ask-er doesn't know what to say to that. You can visably see a baffled look come across their face as they process your words. Most often, it's a conversation end-er because they don't know what to do with it. Once in a while, someone will say "I'm sorry" but no one ever asks why.
This question was the reason that I had anxiety every time I left my house the first year. I didn't know how to respond to it. It seems pretty lame to me now, but back then...it was huge. At present I am usually fine answering this question. I choose to be honest with my heart and my response changes from day to day. Most days I am actually fine so I don't have to pretend. But when it's a tough day, I don't pretend that it's not.
My difficulty with this question now is when it is asked by those that I used to be close to. Let's face it, close friends don't usually ask us this general of a question. They may ask how our week went. Or how an event was. But they rarely ask how we are doing. As people attempt to re-engage with us, this is the question that we are asked. I am guessing that they want to know if we are "better" now. I am guessing that our once close and now distant relationship makes any other question uncomfortable. I don't know the real reason, I just know that I become uncomfortable...instantaneously.
To be honest (which I hope that you know I always am on here), I don't really want them to know how we are doing. To avoid answering, I usually turn the question around in a hurry and ask them something in return. I do this because I think that how we are actually doing is privileged information. If I say that we are still struggling....that information will likely be broadcast out to other friends and family. If I say that we are doing good, again that information will be broadcast out like a news story. In reality, the answer to that question is too complex to verbally respond to. The only people that really know how we are doing are the people that engage with us on a weekly basis. The people that are actually "doing life" with us. The people that see what our life is like. The people that take the time to talk with us. I'll be honest...there aren't many of them. But those few are pretty much the only ones that I will ever give an honest response to.
15 comments:
I agree with what you are saying. I am thinking that those who were friends and are now coming around may honestly want to know how you how doing but should be asking a better question then that. That is a common general question. I wish I had an answer for you. Being honest is always the best and I do understand that you don't feel they deserve the truth since they didn't stick around in the beginning. ((HUGS))
{{{hugs}}} That is one of the questions I dread the most.....and for the most part I act like I didn't hear them, ignore them or just smile and say "I'm alive" and leave it at that. I have virtually no one IRL that I am comfortable saying how I *really* feel ~ so I am VERY thankful for all my virtual/blog friends.
That question definitely is one of our societies quirks. If we don't really want to know the answer, why do we ask? That's often how I end up answering when someone (that I know doesn't want to hear my honest answer) asks me how I'm doing. "Oh, you don't really want to know." That really throws people. Or I just say that I'm hanging in there. A lame answer for a lame question.
I was thinking about this too as I was asked by close family members that we haven't seen in a while. I understand life is complicated and there are times when there are not enough hours in the day. But,I wonder if they really want to know. I mean if they really wanted to know they would have been around sooner and more often, am I right?
I like when people say "just checking on you" but how are you I agree requires a very complex answer, one that we often times don't feel like going into. I was told to say "I'm grieving" in response to those who ask and know that we lost Lilly. It is mostly rhetorical so it is difficult to know how to answer. I agree with what you are doing and I do it myself. I answer honestly depending on my day.
love and prayers
elena
Tricia,
You are so welcome. I want to thank you for sharing your grief and pain to help others that may find themselves in this situation. I have never buried my child, nor do I know anyone in real life who has. However, I will always remember you and your sweet Nate. I am someone who always wants to *fix* someone's pain or sadness. Yet, I know in many situations in life, that is impossible. But you have certainly opened my eyes in ways I can (and need to) help someone. Thank you again for sharing your story. You and you beautiful family of seven will always be in my prayers.
I usually answer as if they asked me "what" I am doing, I say, "oh, I am shopping for xyz" or, "I am just here, doing this or that" then turn it around to them, and put them on the spot "how are you doing"...or I say, "never better" which is the truth, I feel like I will never be better, it is kinda funny in a way, because people love this answer!
My thoughts exactly...It is my least favorite question as well and I have been struggling to find a meaningful answer for almost 2 years now!
Most of the time, I choose to say nothing at all since I really don't want to answer. I just smile and give them the, "I can't believe that you would ask me such a question", look. I never mean to make people uncomfortable, but I just can't say "fine". The superficial verbal exchange just seems wrong.
Thank you for your blog.
((hugs)) You are so honest I love your blog!
Oh how I hate that question too! It seems so fake and most of the time I it puts me in a bad mood instantly. I hate the fact that they just want us to respond "fine" all the time. For me it's only been 6 months, I am not fine. It could be 10 years from now, I still won't be ok, I lost my child! People will never get it, it makes me sad because little by little by circle of family and friend is getting smaller and smaller.
I love your blog!!!
I still struggle with that question too. I question whether it will ever feel natural to answer it again. Not only is it hard in the casual sense, but sometimes it's hard to know whether someone is asking it in the casual sense or if they really want to know. And it's really not something you can summarize briefly. The only way someone can really know is if they are a part of our everyday lives or if they sit down and have a heart-to-heart with us. It's the worst question ever...any response other than "fine" or "good" is unexpected. But the fact is, we're not all "fine" and "good."
I still struggle with what to say to this question! My most common answer these days is "surviving," or "Ok, I guess." It gives them a hint that things aren't fabulous, but I don't have to open up to someone who is just wanting a 15 second conversation.
I don't like that question either - tell me to have a nice day or a blessed day or just say hello - but don't ask me a fake question that you really don't want an answer to - especially and honest answer.
Ahhh yes...this once 'normal/typical' comment has taken on a whole new turn when you are hurting so deeply!
And it stings the most when it comes from someone who SHOULD care but really DOESN'T!
Im still struggling terribly with all of this...
Liberty's birthday is quickly approaching. She would be turning 3 years old on May 24th - we know better than to expect any phone calls or cards - texts or emails - they will NOT be coming..and yet I still kinda sorta hope and pray they will come in - but they don't.
We are currently doing a fundraiser for Libby. It's called Libby's Wagons..Leaving a trail of Love behind. We are raising money to purchase wagons to donate to hospitals - our prayer is that other families facing terrible hardships will be blessed by a little comfort of 'home' in these wagons. Well my heart has again been broken by family and some of our 'closest' of friends. Not ONE person from our family has donated - not even a one dollar donation! :0( Instead complete strangers have popped up and donated - so I am continuing to Trust in our Lord to see our goal of 10 wagons to be met - with or without family and 'friends'!
Thank you so much for always being so open and honest - you make it feel like we can come to your blog and spill our hearts! I love that!
Many hugs and prayers for you and your family and I would LOVE to hear how you are doing - ANYTIME!
Oh, THAT question. Yeah, most people are just asking to ask and not asking b/c they really want to know how you are doing. I'll either say fine, ok, or good. You can usually tell if someone is being genuine or not and if I feel they are being genuine then I might share how I am really doing.
Post a Comment