Wednesday, August 18, 2010

soccer 4 hope



This week, my kids are doing a special soccer camp. 

SOCCER FOR HOPE is an annual soccer camp that is organized by a couple who have been struck hard by cancer.  The husband is a former National team member and current coach for my daughter's club.  He fought his own cancer battle many years ago and is now thriving.  5 years ago his sweet daughter, Abella and son, Hudson (ages 3 and 1) were both hit hard with brain cancer.  Abella is now in remission and one of the happy 8 year old campers this week.  Sadly, Hudson died at age 3 (a couple months after Nate).

The goal of the camp is two-fold.  Rather than focusing on soccer skills and development, its focus is on FUN while teaching the kids about how to reach out and help other kids that are fighting life threatening diseases.  They remind the kids daily about how lucky they are to have their good health and how fortunate they are to be able to run around and play soccer.  It's a lesson that many adults have yet to learn and I am so grateful that these kids are hearing it.  Most importantly, it also raises money for pediatric cancer research at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (same hospital that Nate had his heart surgery at). 

I just love that my kids have been going to this camp for the past 3 years.  Even more, I love that my daughter (and son...but he is more of a prop) are knocking on doors in our neighborhood every night collecting donations for this cause.  My sweet girl has already collected over $340 from people in our neighborhood (and that doesn't include any family). 

This is one of the moments that I am thankful for the path that I am on.  I am thankful that my kids are growing up learning how to help others and I am thankful that they will never take their health for granted!!!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Just sent Shayna an email...

Caroline said...

How wonderful , it's nice to see children helping. Thanx for sharing this.

Caroline

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Beautiful, beautiful...love that they are doing this.

Lisette said...

I love that!!! I know what you mean about being thankful about having your kids help and know the importance of health. I would love for my son to be able to do things like that when he is older. You and your kids are amazing ((HUGS)).

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like a wonderful camp. What a sad story. I am always in awe of people who survive and thrive after such tragedy in their lives. I will keep them in my prayers.

Angie said...

What a wonderful thing to come out of something so difficult.

Youre right - your kids wont take any health/time for granted and they seem to realize the importance of life and family. What a wonderful gift to bear at such a young age. Although it came at a high cost, hopefully they can share with others who have no idea how important that is.

Hope your doing well Trisha! I think of you often!