Tuesday, August 24, 2010

one proud mama

I just had to share what my kids did last week.  

The organizers of "SOCCER FOR HOPE" ask the kids attending the camp to get donations for pediatric cancer research at CHLA during their week at camp.  My daughter was determined to raise a lot of money but I never guessed that she would raise as much as she did. Last year she worked hard going around our neighborhood and raised $320. I thought that was amazing.





This year she and my son went knocking on doors in our neighborhood EVERY day after soccer camp. They received donations from more than 50 people. I was shocked at how many people that we don't know would give them $10 or $20. One little girl was home alone and even gave them $2 of her own money.  So amazing! In addition to going door to door, my daughter also wrote and sent a handful of emails to a few others (our friend list isn't very long these days).  She only wanted to ask 1 family member.  I think that even she is recognizing that "family" is not a part of our life anymore.




At the end of 4 days she raised $704.   PLUS she asked for a donation from our brand new Chick-fil-A restaurant and got them to donate $300 in food to next years camp. All in all, she (and Noah too) raised

$1,004 in 4 days!!!!





I think that is AMAZING and I am such a proud mama.  I just love that their hearts are leading them to do this.  I can't wait to see what they accomplish in their lives.  I have a feeling that they are going to change the world!!!!

10 comments:

Holly said...

That IS amazing!! That's an awesome amount to raise!!! Way to go!!

Jodi Lansink said...

You should be proud---that is AWESOME!!!

MommyIvy said...

That is great! You should be proud!

Claire said...

I love that they didn't stop - that they kept going - what a blessing!!! Any kind of fund raising is tough these days so they really are to be commended!!!

Anonymous said...

I know you are proud of your children!

brigette said...

how awesome!! THey did great work!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You should be extremely proud of them. That is beautiful. Having that much determination at such a young age just means she has a huge heart.

Jennifer said...

That is SO awesome!

My sister in law just sent told me about her brothers pastors daughter who is at CHLA with cancer. For the second time. I wanted to put the link here so maybe some of your readers would read about it and be praying for sweet little Daisy Love.

www.prayfordaisy.com

Lisette said...

Wow that is amazing!!!! You have some really awesome kids!!!

Claire said...

A friend recently shared with me about her niece whose fiance was killed in a tragic car accident two weeks before the wedding. I'm not going to go into all the resulting hurt and pain but I thought of you and what you've written of how people could help those who are experiencing such devasting grief and I wanted to encourage you again to maybe organize some of the things you've written and see if there is a book waiting to be written in all of this? Have you thought about it?