This week, as I was checking out I had a conversation that I never planned on having. The checker asked me if she could "round up" the total for a donation to some sort of foundation (colon cancer or something). I responded with a "sure, that would be fine". She then went on to tell me about an experience that she had had with another customer. She stood there complaining about someone that, as she said: "wouldn't even donate 20 cents for a good cause".
"Well you never know what is going on in someones life that would cause them to do that"...was my response. She kinda laughed at my comment and looked at the person bagging my items for assurance (probably thinking that I was a little crazy).
I could have walked away at this point.
I considered just keeping my mouth shut and minding my own business.
I told myself that it wasn't my responsibility to educate people on the hardships of life and that I should just worry about my own problems.
All of the options swirled around in my head during what had to be a 10 second time period of her handing me my receipt.
So I just took the receipt and
I couldn't do it.
I couldn't just walk away under these circumstances.
I had to say something.
I just HAD to.
And I did.
In a sweet and kind voice I explained to the checker that sometimes, people have an experience that prevents them from doing certain things (I still didn't get to her).
I went on to tell her that I have a hard time donating to CHOC (the children's hospital right in our community that EVERYONE loves and supports). She looked at me with shock and confusion. As if the word that I uttered were of another language.
I further explained that even though they do amazing work and they provide life-saving help for many, many children...I have a hard time giving them my money (she started listening more intently).
I then went on to say that a mistake that they made caused my son to die (now I had her attention). I summed it all up by once again saying...
you never know what's going on in someones life and you never know why they make the decisions that they do.
I walked out of that store feeling like I had served my purpose for the day.
It was a good day.
16 comments:
I just made my way here and have been doing some reading. Good for you for saying something to the cashier.
Nate's story brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes. I am sorry for what your lovely family has been through, and continues to go through. <3
Good for you! Sometimes thae cashiers have no clue. I used to work at a grocery store and had never thought about how my "How are you?" would make people feel. I start a new job on Wednesday and will keep that in mind as I am talking to my customers.
Good for you. There are definite moments I wish I would speak my mind.
Great explanation! Sad thing is, it is not just the cashiers...people we know do this sometimes too.
That's one of those conversations you would have regretted not having! Glad you gave her a perspective that hopefully she will never fully understand.....and glad you got it off your chest.
xo
Awesome, that was a great move on your part. When my children were in school they would sometimes come home and say my teacher was mean today. I would tell them something similar to that saying that you don't know what is going on at home and they may be taking it out on them. I am so proud of you :)
I am proud of you!!!! I really hope she remembers that conversation and uses it as a tool in life. Sometimes we just need to do that.
Good for you for saying what needed to be said! Bet you left that lady with a lot to think about!
You are so right...and I have thought about saying something similar so many times. I'm so glad you did!
Love to you...
Good for you!
People have no way of knowing about things unless they either go through it themselves or somebody tells them. I'm glad you shared some of your wisdom that day.
You inspire me!
WTG, people need our perspective. I hope that she never forgets. You definatly served your purpose for the day!
Well done - I'm proud of you for accomplishing this!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Sometimes you just have to make a stand!
I think it's awesome you decided to speak up and explain more. I'm giving you a standing ovation for that!!!
Trisha, I love this! Hopefully your audience opened their mind a little and let it absorb. You're amazing!
Post a Comment