We continued our tradition of spending Nate's birthday at Disneyland.
It's the best option for what is a sad, sad day for us.
Once again, we had lunch at McDonald's (to commemorate our days living at The Ronald McDonald House) and then stopped by the party store to pick out our balloons. We were excited to find "Nathan" balloons this year!
I can't believe how much the kids have grown since we started this 3 years ago. Now they are all writing their own thoughts and birthday wishes onto paper by themselves. It both melts and breaks my heart to read them...
We tell Brady about his big brother all of the time. Someday he will understand. I thought that it would be easier to celebrate Nate's birthday this year since I had Brady to fill my arms. It wasn't. I love having him in my arms (trust me I rarely let him go), but It was just a constant reminder of everything that we missed with Nate.
We sang happy birthday together as a family standing over Nate's special brick. Tears always flow when we do this...from all of us!
Note: Notice that my hubby is on crutches. We have had a rough week around here with out of town travels and chaos. Then, the night before Nate's bday, he re-injured his knee (had knee surgery last December after hurting it on Christmas Eve - yep...we got to spend Christmas Eve at the emergency room last year)! Another surgery is scheduled for Monday - ugh!
We let the kids release the balloons this year...
It was a beautiful sight watching them float away into a beautiful blue sky...
... until they got stuck in the tree --ugh!!!
The Disneyland employees promised to climb up and release them after the Park closed. So sad that we didn't get to see them disappear into the sky. I wonder what the thousands of Disney visitors thought as they passed by that tree on their way into the park. I wonder if anyone knew what those balloons represented.
We snuck another birthday cake into the park and had a little celebration in Tomorrowland. I think Disney should allow you to bring in cakes!
I'm sure that at 4, Nate would be loving Disney so we bought him some Mickey plates. I know that he would have been running around everywhere with a huge smile on his face :)
We always get birthday buttons for Nate (and the other kids too). This year, Noah wanted to wear it (last year my hubby wore it). He just LOVED how all of the Disney employees would say "Happy Birthday Nathan" when they passed by.
A special family picture that will go on our calendar next year to represent the month of "March".
I got a new necklace with all 6 kids on it last month.
Love. Love. Love.
And...I got a heart ring with Nate's initial.
Love. Love. Love.
Love. Love. Love.
Wear them both everyday...for now.
We continued our tradition of letting the kids each select a "Micky" balloon. They keep them in their rooms for the entire month and it's a special reminder that March belongs to Nathan.
We did it.
We survived another birthday.
It was good.
It was sad.
It's not the way that it should be but we're doing the best that we can given that the birthday boy lives in Heaven.
We survived another birthday.
It was good.
It was sad.
It's not the way that it should be but we're doing the best that we can given that the birthday boy lives in Heaven.
Thanks to everyone that sent us birthday wishes for Nate this week. It means so much! So, so much!












8 comments:
Happy 4th Birthday, Nathan! What beautiful birthday memories you are creating. I love how you take a sad day & turn it into a day of remembrance & honor of Nathan's life. All the sweet details (the brick, the cake you snuck in, the notes & the Mickey balloons) brought tears to my eyes. You are one strong woman! Thinking about & praying for you!
What a great place to celebrate Nathan's Birthday. I bet it really is something your kids look forward to! I know it must have been so very bittersweet though. I think it always will be. Your family is beautiful!
I always love how you celebrate his birthday. It's so special. And I know it would be even so much more special with him here to celebrate it.
Happy 4th Birthday, Nathan!
Wow, what beautiful memories you are creating with your children to remember their precious brother. I am sure Nathan is smiling down from Heaven, so thankful to have such a wonderful family who loves him so deeply.
What a beautiful tradition you guys have to celebrate his special day. We are thinking of surprising our girls with a trip to Disney World later this year. The 27th. will be Liberty's 5th *angel-versary* and the 28th will be my 30th birthday - so I am sure it will be a bittersweet experience for all of us...but it will be nice to get away from every day life for a while.
Something that really stuck out at me in what you wrote was;
"I thought that it would be easier to celebrate Nate's birthday this year since I had Brady to fill my arms. It wasn't. I love having him in my arms (trust me I rarely let him go), but It was just a constant reminder of everything that we missed with Nate."
...This really stuck with me because I know exactly what you mean. 9 months after Liberty died, we were blessed with our sweet Cheyenne. Immediately everyone started talking about how she was going to 'heal us' and make everything 'better'. They really couldn't understand why we were still so broken over losing Liberty!?! I guess they don't fully understand that Cheyenne's job was not to fill Liberty's spot in our family - she has a spot in our family, all her own. Yes, looking at her and Savannah (as well as Big Sister Aspen) bring us tremendous joy and we are forever thankful to have them - but they cannot "fill in" where Liberty is missing. So please know I sent you mental hugs when I read what you wrote!!!
By the way, your children are all SO beautiful! And I hope your husband recovers from his injury as quickly as possible!
Hugs,
Kelly
I'm crying right now after reading this post. Audrey turned four today and we had a little birthday party for her. It hurt me reading how much Nate is missed and how I we got to celebrate Audrey today and you have to miss your little guy. It's so unfair.
I love how you honor Nate with all the special things you do each year. I can see all the love that was shown this year and I know for certain he would have liked his Mickey plates. Audrey loves Mickey and Minnie.
Sending big hugs to you and a belated Happy Birthday to Nate! I'm so sorry I'm late...betwen tball and birthday and school stuff, it's been crazy lately!
I love what you do for Nathans birthday! Such a beautiful day and I love the smiles on the kids' faces. Happy birthday little man!
xoxo
Thanks for your comment "Nicky". It has been deleted as promised but I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you today. Each time you leave a comment, it reminds me to pray for you.
Hugs,
Trisha
Looks like a lovely day of celebration for Nathan's Birthday.
I love the tradition. Love the balloons and cake, also the wearing of the birthday button.
So glad little Brady is with you this year. So sorry about your husbands injury :( ((HUGS))
Post a Comment