Thursday, October 10, 2013

How do you deal with lame people?

Our world is full of kind and wonderful people.  People that would give you the shirt off their back.  People that would go out of their way to say hello.  People that do amazing things to make this world a better place.

And then there are the lame people.  I met one today.

I pulled into the Costco gas station this morning only to find a truck cutting me off (he had a stop sign...I didn't).  So I stopped my car as to not hit him only to have another car whiz past me and pull ahead of me into the gas station.  It wasn't a big deal.  The station wasn't busy and there were plenty of open pumps.  I pulled in behind him and there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to politely say something (I honestly feel like if people are aware of how their behavior affects others, they might change it). 

So I walked up to him and humbly asked why he cut me off like that.  He replied with something about how I was just sitting in the middle of the road and he had places to go and didn't have time to wait behind some stupid lady.  I calmly explained that I was stopped because a truck didn't stop at the stop sign and cut me off.  He started getting worked up and said that he didn't see any other cars there and continued to justify his actions by saying that I was just stopped in the middle of the street.

Another man opened his window and told the man that what he did to me wasn't nice.  To which he just started unloading insults on me.  I walked behind my car, started to pump my gas and began crying.  I did peek through the windows just to see if he was wearing a wedding ring.  Surely, a person like that couldn't possibly be married...right?  Well,  there it was, a thick gold band around his ring finger.  Someone is actually married to that man.  I just don't understand how people can be so mean.  I mean why couldn't he just say "I'm sorry that I cut you off"...or better yet, just wait until I pulled in?

He was obviously a man of great wealth.  His high end black Mercedes coupe, perfectly pressed designer outfit and elaborate jewelry said so.  And here I am with my hair in a bun, driving an old suburban with 6 little "feet" on the back and a baby in his car seat.  He thought that he was better than me.  He acted as if his time was more important than mine.   That was what hurt the most.  The way that he pretentiously acted as if I was just a peon.  A nobody that was just in his way.  I happen to be extremely well educated (perhaps at a higher level than that man) but I was treated as if I was an idiot.

I kept thinking why can't people do what Ellen says "Be kind to one another".  I mean seriously...can't we just be kind to one another?

I let this ruin my morning and I'm trying to not let it ruin my day.  Please let me know how you deal with people like that.  Do you say something or just let them be lame?



6 comments:

Jill said...

I just go on my way, because I don't like confrontation and I don't want my day ruined by someone who has no manners. Sorry it happened to you.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I am finding that people are becoming more selfish then they use to be years ago, it's all about them. Also I think social skills are a thing of the past with all the ways they communicate without actually talking to a person in person!!! ((HUGS))

Kennedy Klan said...

I am so sorry this happen to you. People can be so rude and selfish and its so sad that this is what the world has ended up to be..... I am sure he did feel higher up on the pole, but little did he know that his actions knocked him right off the pole into the scum pile! Don't let him ruin your day, don't stoop to his level. Keep being the good kind person you are :) after all kindness matters the most :) HUGS!

Sherri Newman said...

Ugly often tries to bring Beauty down, but beauty ALWAYS prevails.

Anonymous said...

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do"

Krista, Greg and Zachary! said...

Honestly, I think there are so many people out there that let others ruin their days. I have before, but some times I am able to step away from that situation and just let it go. Once we realize we can't change EVERYONE (like this man) and everyone won't always be nice, WE can be much happier. One of my favorite quotes is: "Holding a grudge is like taking poison and waiting for someone else to die" (can't remember who said it) Once we realize that our reaction to how others treat us is what actually dictates our happiness, we can be much happier, we can get the "poison" out of our lives. I know it is hard to let it go sometimes. Being a nice person really makes it hard to understand why mean people act the way they do, but I truthfully hope to NEVER understand why and how they act the way they do. I don't know you but have been reading your blog for quite sometime (first time commenter), I wish you lots of peace and happiness!