Wednesday, November 20, 2013

confirmation from my eleven year old



This past week I have been consumed by thoughts of the Holiday's approaching.  Not the typical shopping, baking, decorating ideas.  Rather, thoughts of those that are approaching their first Holiday without their child...husband...dad...mom.

We went to a lot of funerals this year.  Too many.  So I know first hand that many of these families are approaching this difficult time.  My heart aches for them.  The Holiday's are not always Joyful and celebratory.  They can be rough.  Downright miserable.

So I have been reaching out to a few people to see if I can help.  Hoping that something I learned or experienced will make it easier.  Knowing deep down that nothing can make it better.  But I want to do something.  Surely I can do something to help someone else.  God put this on my heart as a kid.  I have always had a desire to reach out and help others -- even before Nate and most certainly after Nate.   

I have encouraged my kids to do that too.  Yesterday my 11 year old son taught me a lesson straight out of the bible.  One that I should have taught him.  At the beginning of the year he signed up for a community service program at school.  The idea was that you do 20 hours of community service and then you get an award...a recognition from the school for your service.  The past couple of months he has done a big portion of the required hours.  Yesterday I asked him why he hadn't filled out his "service log".  He informed me that he still wants to do the community service but was quitting the school program.  He told me that it's not really community service if he gets an award for doing it.

Sigh...

He's right.
So right.

I've read it in the bible time and time again.  It's just how we should live.  Doing good things for others without any recognition.  This confirms what God has already been putting on my heart this week.

So, here's my thought on this.  

If you read my blog...whether I know you or not, I encourage you to look around and identify the people in your families, lives and neighborhoods that are hurting.  Sometimes...we forget who they are (and it's hard to be the one that is forgotten).  Then, think of ways that you can show them practical expressions of love and kindness this Holiday Season.  

Little things:  
a phone call
an email
a card
a homemade goodie
a meal
a gift
TIME!

It won't change the world...but it might change one person's world...XOXO.
 




No comments: