I have said it before and I will say it again. Holiday's are always tough when you have a child that lives in Heaven. There is always a hole...someone is always missing.
I remember Mother's Day 2 years ago. It was about 6 weeks after Nate died. As I approached that day, I was hoping that I would receive an outpouring of love from family and friends. I felt that I had done the hardest thing that any "mother" could ever do. I buried a child. Surely, that would be recognized. Surely people would treat me like a war hero returning from battle. Broken and damaged but honored nonetheless.
I wasn't.
There were no cards.
There were no phone calls.
There were no emails.
The day went by...unnoticed.
As I sit here 2 years later, I am in a different place. I don't expect things from people anymore. I don't need things from people anymore. But it is still a bittersweet day. I celebrate with the children I have with me and I am saddened by the child that is not.
I was watching ELLEN this week and they have been promoting their Mother's Day show. It's a day where new mommies are honored and celebrated. They absolutely deserve everything that they receive. Being a new mommy is a wonderful thing.
But I know the other side to that.
I know that there are women out there that are celebrating their first Mother's Day alone. Foregoing all of the strollers and baby toys and gift cards...I know that the only thing that they would want is to hold their baby on Mother's Day. There are no Mother's Day cards when your child lives in Heaven.
My experience has caused me to look at things in different ways. It's sad that I lost that innocence. But it's good that I see reality. Mother's Day is not always a happy day. For some, it's the hardest day of the year. Most people have no idea. They plan their brunches and buy their flowers. They don't see the other side. Now I have a better perspective. I see both sides!
So to all of my mommy friends:
I wish you a Happy Mother's Day. Whether your child is here on earth or up in Heaven -- I honor you! You are NOT unnoticed and your child has NOT been forgotten. You are a "Mother" and you deserve to be blessed on this day.
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #663
2 days ago
19 comments:
Happy early Mother's Day Trish! Thinking of Nate <3
I will be thinking of you Sunday!! xxx
Very sweet of you. My 1st mothers day went by pretty much unnoticed too, it hurts. Thinking of Nate and you on Mother's day.
So sorry about the way people weren't there for you that first Mother's Day without Nate. I know things can never be the same without him here. I will be thinking about you guys this Sunday!
Sending hugs,
Ver
You wrote this so beautifully....took the words right out of my mouth. I wish you a wonderful Mother's Day...as wonderful as it can be. I share your perspective, and as much as I wish I didn't share it, I can at least appreciate the fact that I'm now more sensitive to the other side of ignorant bliss.
Thank you so much for posting this! I am coming up on my first Mother's Day since my baby girl died and it has just been hitting me the last couple days.
What a great post! Everything seems it will be bittersweet for so long...
Thank you dear friend. There will be no Mother's Day cards or gifts for me. It's hard because I know I have 4 babies in Heaven. Happy Mother's Day to you as well. You are a wonderful and strong mother. So glad to call you my friend.
Another great post Trisha. Happy Mother's Day to you too. I will be thinking of you.
This is going to be really hard for me this year without my daughter and without my sister-law (my 2nd mom).
((HUGS))
Trisha-
I am not sure about your feelings of sharing with other mothers who are losing their babies but if you are open and willing and wanting to do so-I came across a blog today where the baby was born yesterday and she has a multitude of problems Trisomy 18 being one of them and it sounds like they are just trying to make her comfortable and having time to be able to get to know her while they can. It is very sad-she seems very strong in her faith but I am sure as a mom especially at Mother's Day weekend she is hurting and I didn't know but thought if you could reach out to her that maybe it would be of some comfort to her. I know when you did to me-your story was so sad to my heart as a mom but also so encouraging to know that God has gotten you to this point in all of this and it helped me to know that if we were facing bad things with Brandon that I too would get through it with His grace and mercy.
Her site is;
http://cbeandahuff.blogspot.com
If not that is fine too-I just thought it might help her to know people who have dealt with this deep grief.
Blessings-
I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day. I too will celebrate knowing that two of my babies I never met are in Heaven waiting for the day I celebrate it with them as well.
Jill
Will be thinking of you! So, so true. XO
Well said, dear Trisha...
Thinking of you and so many mothers this Mother's Day...
You deserve to be honored as the beautiful mother you are to ALL of your children...
Love and Prayers...
I am feeling so lonely too... this will be my 1st M'sDay without my baby girl.
I am so lonely in this world, i hope that God is listening and give me courage to carry on as i am feeling so down...
Sending you much love this mother's day. here's to hugs & kisses from your little ones....and to butterflies and rainbows and sweet breezes that remind of us the ones we can't hold.
xo
Thinking of you this Mother's Day. I pray that you have peace and are able to enjoy the day with your children. Still thinking and praying for you.
Happy Mother's Day Tricia! I am so sorry you have to experience this blessed day without Nate. I can only imagine how bittersweet this day must be. Thinking and praying of you often. God Bless You.
Happy Mother's Day, Trisha. As you celebrate with your husband and children on earth, I hope you can also feel Nate's presence with you and find some comfort. You are doing an amazing job honoring ALL of your children.
My heart goes out to you.
Happy belated mother's day Trisha!! Yeah, every holiday is hard without them. In fact, you could say every day is. It's amazing that we can go forward.
Post a Comment