Monday, July 12, 2010

amazing

We were lucky enough to spend our fifteenth anniversary in the Bahamas.  It was an amazing vacation that we had been planning for 2 years. 

We had a long travel day on our actual anniversary but were able to have dinner (a late one at that) in the Bahamas like we had hoped.  We spent the night in a small hotel and planned on squeezing all 6 of us into a regular room since it was just for 12 hours.  But, when they found out that it was our anniversary, they upgraded us to a suite for free!!!  We were so grateful.  

The next morning we walked outside and noticed that a cruise ship was sailing into port.  Not a big deal except for the fact that this was the SAME ship that we honeymooned on 15 years agoMonarch of the Seas!!! 
Crazy!!


Then we made our way to our vacation destination:  Atlantis.  Or should I say...

ATLANTIS!!!




We didn't stay in this exact hotel. I actually spent about 40-50 hours on the Internet trying to make it happen but it was just too expensive.  Even if I could have....I wouldn't have spent that much money on a vacation.  So, after realizing that the room wasn't all that important, I went to plan B.  I bought someones timeshare week off of Ebay.  It was a very nice suite on the Atlantis property and it even had a washer/dryer and a full kitchen.  It was a great deal and worked out perfect for our large family.


We had a great 4th of July and enjoyed the fireworks over the Caribbean! 



The beaches were incredible!!!
White sand and crystal blue water.  Oh my goodness, it's nothing like the beaches here in Southern California.  Just thinking about it makes me want to go back.



Atlantis has more water slides than I can count.  We (except the twins) went on all of them.  This one is called the leap of faith and it really is a "leap of faith".  You drop STRAIGHT down and it's insane...but so fun!!!  This is Shayna!  I don't have a photo of me doing it.
There were so many pools and slides that it was completely overwhelming the first few days.  I think that we switched pools every hour or so just so that we could do everything. 



We had busy and yet relaxing days.  It was great to be completely OUT OF TOUCH - no international cell service or Internet!!!


We were warned ahead of time that the food was REALLY expensive so I brought a suitcase filled with 4 loaves of bread, 4 bags of cereal, 2 jars of peanut butter, jelly, boxes and boxes of protein bars, granola bars and cereal bars, chips, cookies, crystal light mix and treats.  We ate cereal in the room, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch by the pool (did I mention that I am sick of pb&j?) and went out for dinner at night.  We tried to eat as inexpensively as possible but a gallon of milk was $11 and one large pizza was a whopping $35.  Can you believe that!!! It was the first vacation where I actually lost 2 pounds because I didn't want to buy that expensive food! 

All in all, we had an amazing time but there is always a set of footprints missing.

Nate is ALWAYS on our mind...

Wish he could have joined us.

12 comments:

Krista said...

I remember you saying this was your dream vacation, and I'm so glad you got to go! Great idea into looking at buying someone's time share. You wrote a great recap of your trip, and I loved your pictures. Your last two pictures and captions brought tears to my eyes because it is so true.

Veronica said...

Wow! What an awesome vacation! We went on a cruise in May the year we got pregnant with Audrey to celebrate our fifth anniversary! We also went to the Bahamas and even went on a shore excursion to the Atlantis! It was awesome! Just thinking about that crystal blue water brings back good memories. It's true...once you've experienced that kind of water, there's just no comparison once you come back home to the freezing cold beaches here in CA! :) Glad you guys had a great time and it was sweet to see Nate's name in the sand in the Caribbean. So special. :)

Devon said...

beautiful pictures! i am so glad you were able to get away....happy anniversary! congratulations!

Kelly said...

Wow! Wow! Wow!

It looks like you guys had an awesome trip! I absolutely LOVE that you took your precious little ones along with you - these days a lot of parents go on vacation without their children - so I love to see other families who want their children there too :) I loved that you included sweet Nate in the pics to. We are going to Disney World this fall - we are hoping to write Liberty name in the sand while we are there!

I am shocked at how expensive the food was there - yikes!! I guess that would be one way to keep myself from chowing down! lol

It looks like you had a wonderful time and got some AMAZING pics..though just looking at that one slide made my stomach drop! ;)

So happy for you to have some wonderful memories and thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs,
Kelly

Jennifer said...

Yeah! So glad you got to go and it sounds and looks like you all had a wonderful time! Wish Nate could have been there with you too. I'm sure he would have had a blast playing in the sand!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

What a wonderful vacation...and I love that you thought of creative ways to save money on the trip as well! My son really wants to go to Atlantis...He sees all the commericials and thinks it looks like so much fun. I agree...but he will have to settle for camping at the Mohican this year! =)

I'm so glad you had this beautiful trip to celebrate your anniversary...and I know what you mean about the missing footprints. I love the picture of Nate's name in the sand.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That last shot brought me to tears. Looks like it was a great vacation. Wow that slide is something else. Nice pictures and how smart of you to bring meals along. Can't believe $11. for milk! Happy Anniversary.

Lisette said...

Seeing the last picture really touched my heart. So sweet, Nate is never far from your heart. My favorite picture.
I am glad you guys were able to enjoy your vacation. I think it was a great idea to bring your own stuff, $11 for a gallon on milk, WOW.

Mary said...

It looks like a great trip for your family, I am glad you got to go! I can imagine it was a breath of fresh air for everyone to relax together.

It is still so hard that with every fun family event someone is missing. Nate would have loved being with you all. Hoping he glanced down and got to watch some of the fun...

Tina said...

You have the SWEETEST family EVER! How fun was that? Wow...I'm jealous. hehe

Christy said...

tried leaving a comment earlier...no luck....just wanted to say that your pictures are beautiful, as is your family . You look to have so much joy in your life and for that I am happy. You have worked so hard...looks like it has paid off. Nate will never be forgotten....it's easy to see him in your photos everywhere....I wish he was there with you in your arms but he is loved so very much.
xo

Holly said...

What an amazing vacation! It looks so beautiful there and the prices-ouch! Good idea on the suitcase of food. I love the last pic of the kids with Nate's name. :)