Little Preslee's accident and subsequent death has caused me to experience a myriad of emotions the past few days. This weekend I found myself thinking about what it was like to plan my sons funeral and vividly remembering what it felt like to come home to that "empty room".
Last week, I was glued to my computer. I anxiously awaited updates and prayed that they would be positive. As the sweet family posted pictures of their ICU experience, I found myself reliving mine. All of the tubes and machines were so familiar. I spent a lot of time reflecting back on my time with Nate. I would stare at the monitors for hours on end just hoping and praying that the numbers would be where they needed to be so that I knew that my sweet baby was healing properly. I would rub is head and kiss his hands. I wanted him to know how loved he was. I would find comfort in emails telling us that hundreds (maybe even thousands) of people were praying for him. He was completely covered in prayer...I was so hopeful that God would say "yes".
When God said "no" I took it hard. Very hard. For a while, I honestly took it as a personal rejection from God. But God said no to Preslee too. I don't understand why. It seems like His name would be even more glorified through the actions of a miracle. Again...I don't understand. Just one more conversation that I look forward to having with my creator one day.
The past 2 years I have worked so hard to fight through the grief. There were months that I kept myself insanely busy. I didn't want a moment to spare because I knew that the images and grief would win over me. There were months that I felt God calling me to BE STILL so I tried to keep my life simple. Very simple. I tried to figure out how to be still. I tried to do nothing. I wanted so desperately for God to guide me. I wanted so desperately for God to speak to me.
This past weekend we took our kids to see The Karate Kid. During the movie there was one line that resonated with me like no other:
"Being still and doing nothing are NOT the same."
WOW! This hit me like a ton of bricks. This was no bible verse and no direct words from God but I just knew that once again, I had been doing it wrong.
The past couple of months, I have been looking more at "being still" as being content. Finding Joy where I am while eagerly listening for God's guidance. We'll see if I can get it right this time.
Gosh I am a slow learner!!!
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #663
2 days ago
11 comments:
very sweet post!
Sometimes God says "NO" but not without the promise to see us through. Here is a link to a post that I wrote on this very subject.
http://lovinglaynee.blogspot.com/2010/03/god-said-no.html
and another on "being still"
http://lovinglaynee.blogspot.com/2010/01/senseless.html
I too am weeping for Preslee's family
When you write it is like you are relaying my exact thoughts and feelings! I also wonder why God said no to us, but another little girl I recently posted about with a heart defect came through and is doing well. Yes, I have been reliving those moments with my sweet Audrey as well, you just never know when the emotions will flood. Wow, that quote is good!
Sending love,
Becca
thinking of you...
christy
I wish I understood the meaning of all this. It is traumatic, it is hard but somehow faith keeps me aflote.
I really like the quote. I am so that you have those memories to relive. I wish you only had sweet memories of Nate. Thinking and praying for you ((HUGS))
beautifully said..
I cried the entire day when I first read about sweet Preslee. My heart and mind had SO many flash backs to when we lost Liberty - and this made my heart ache deeply for this other family. Unfortunately we know all too well what a 'no' feels like and I fully wish I had the power to keep another family from feeling that 'no'. During my weeping I felt as though God brought light to all of the yes's He has given me through the years. A 'yes' to Aspen when she was born 8 weeks premature. Another 'yes' to me when I sat on my "death bed" following her birth after suffering from severe preeclampsia and hellp syndrome. A 'yes' to Cheyenne after being diagnosed with SVT (heart defect) at 27 weeks gestation and then suffering many episodes her first year of life. A 'yes' to Savannah - our first healthy, full term baby. A 'yes' to my husband - our health - our home - our running vehicles - his steady income - clean drinking water - plenty of food - wonderful internet friends to lean on during my darkest hours -etc. There will never ever be a 'yes' that will ever replace the 'no' that broke our heart into a million pieces - but the one thing that has NEVER changed during the 'yes's and the no's' is God. God is consistant - always. I just absolutely loved reading your post today - definitely what I needed to hear..
Please know you are always on my mind!
Many hugs!
Kelly and Family
You not a slow learner, you have come so far in your growth, it's in God's time.
I appreciate the quote you posted. So true. I hope we can eventually come to the place where we realize that God didn't really say No, He said Yes. Yes to His perfect plan. Yes to loving us beyond measure. Yes to using all things for the good. Yes to a wonderful eternity in heaven. I am so not "there" yet when it comes to embracing this. Maybe when I asked for a miracle for my daughter, it only "seemed" in my limited earthly understanding that God said No. Maybe the miracle was never knowing sin, never suffering, just simply going from a broken world to an amazing heaven.
I too have felt denied. But, I have to believe that HE has a plan. Right now, I feel like I will never know what it is. It will have to be a conversation I will have to have with HIM.
I only heard of her story after she had already passed and it broke my heart that such a beautiful little girl was gone.
Wow-that line from the movie is a good one and really profound.
I stumbled upon your blog this evening and have been reading many of your posts. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. We too are on this grief journey. Our little princess was born just before Nathan on Feb 14, 2008. She also had a severe heart defect and underwent two open heart surgeries in the first 4 months of her life. She was doing great for the heart condition she had, no one would have ever known she had a heart problem just by looking at her. Sadly she went into cardiac arrest at our home when she was 14 months old. She went to heaven on April 26th, 2009. This is quite the journey, one I didn't sign up for, for sure. There are so many things that I can relate to in your postings. Thanks for sharing your journey.
With love, Jamie
www.playroomofhope.com
Post a Comment