Saturday ended up being a good day.
We laughed.
We cried.
We survived.
That's all I can ask for.
Our first stop was to have lunch at our local McDonald's. We've done this the past 2 years to commemorate the month that we spent at the Ronald McDonald House. We even let the twins get Happy Meals (a rarity) since a portion of the cost is donated to help other families like ours.
Then we stopped by the party store on our way to Disneyland. We let everyone pick out a special balloon and we all wrote him a special birthday note that we attached to the balloons.
Kaylee did both sides.
Then we gathered around his brick to sing Happy Birthday and do our balloon release. Typically I have to ask a stranger passing by to take photos for us. But this year, a kind mom stopped by our little celebration and asked if we wanted her to take pictures for us. She was so incredibly sweet. It was such a nice blessing.
We huddled together and sang a very tearful Happy Birthday to our little man. I just love this shot that she took because you can read his brick right in the middle of our circle.
Then we let our balloons go and watched them float away.
It was a warm and beautiful BLUE SKY day. Thank you God for that little blessing.
It's always so emotional watching our balloons float away.
The twins wanted to have a birthday cake for him so I snuck one into the park (can you believe they weren't going to let us bring it in?) and we sat down in the middle of Fantasyland for a little party.
Then we enjoyed our afternoon at the park. It was unusually crowded. Actually it was packed! We didn't get on many rides but we had fun anyway.
We always get our kids a Disney "Birthday Button" when it's their birthday so we got one for Nate too. My husband wore it all day long and loved it when the Disney employees would walk by and say "Happy Birthday Nathan". The kids and I wore "I'm Celebrating" buttons to make the day extra special.
After a long debate about where to eat dinner (a hard, emotional day for the kids), we decided to eat at Downtown Disney.
We finished off the night by letting the kids each pick out their own Disney balloon to take home (a very special treat that is only given on Nate's birthday).
And the night was finished off perfectly with the most amazing fireworks display!
I just love this picture with the fireworks going off behind the kids' balloons.
Though it is still the month of March and I find myself reliving the days that we spent in the hospital with Nathan, I am relieved that his birthday is over. Upon reflection, we realized that we spent the day in a way that honored our son and was right for our family. I just wish that I didn't get bummed about all of the people that didn't remember his birthday or acknowledge how hard this month is for us. Maybe next year that won't matter.
**********************************************************************************************************************
All of my other kids have a birthday banner that we hang at their party every year. So Shayna and I decided that we wanted to make one for Nate last week. She helped me pick out fabric, cut out letters and sew it all together. I was thankful to share that experience with her. We both enjoyed doing something special for Nathan. We dragged that banner around with us the entire day. The inconvenience of it was far outweighed by the blessing it gave us.




















9 comments:
it looks like you had an awesome day, considering...i love that you took balloons to the park! and i think your brick is very near to ours - i'm gonna look for nate's next time!
thinking of you....
Brings tears to see all the love and thought that you put into his birthday. Wow....what an awesome way to celebrate!
I also LOVE how you all wear BLUE!
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. He is lucky to have such a wonderful family that loves him so much!
I know that there are no words but I wanted you to know I sent up another prayer after reading this. Waiting for heaven right along with you.
Karol
Your pictures capture the emotions of the day and brought tears to my eyes. All the little touches you put into it were just beautiful. He is one loved little guy.
I love the banner and I love that Erik wore Nate's button. SO cool! It looks like such a special time that you guys all had and I'm so glad that it worked out that you were able to go and have that time together.
I love the banner that you and Shayna made for Nate's birthday. You both did a great job on it! I love how you celebrate his birthday as a family. It's something I want to do as our girls get older. You know what, I may actually see if Anthony will take that day off of work and we go and do something as a family. I think that would be really nice. :)
You had a beautiful day for his birthday. Unlike here! I was bummed I couldn't release a balloon for him. :(
Thanks so much for sharing his special day with all of us. And I'm sorry more people didn't remember it. I know I would feel hurt. I guess I feel it already with how some people are already saying they won't be coming to celebrate with us on the Saturday before her birthday. But I'm still gonna do it b/c like Anth said last year-it isn't about them!!
trisha--i'm so happy you had such a beautiful day. You are such an awesome mama. You do so much for your kids and there is no exception for Nathan. He is so lucky to have you! I am so sorry i didn't email you on his birthday. I hope you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers all the time. Your family is just precious and I hate that you feel less than loved sometimes. There is enough sadness in losing Nate that you don't need any more by feeling forgotten. But in my heart, you are not forgotten. I will alwasy remember you and your family in March. This is Nate's month, you are right. And I hope each year it comes and goes with as much beauty and grace as you have in the past, but maybe with a little less pain, though I know that is unlikely. I wish for you peace, as always. Sending so much love,
christy
I just came across your blog from Holly's blog. Happy Birthday to your precious son. I'm glad you had a special day celebrating his life. I couldn't help getting teary-eyed as I read how you celebrated. I just kept thinking, he should be here to celebrate too. I'm also pretty emotional right now because my daughter's first birthday is coming up on March 16th. She was stillborn at fullterm last year. Much love, Hannah Rose
roseandherlily.blogspot.com
What a very fun and fantastic way to bond with your family together. I bet you all have a wonderful time in Disneyland.
Post a Comment