Wednesday, August 27, 2014

the grief of a child - part 2

Sometimes...your brother's death gives you a different perspective.   Sometimes...spending day after day in a hospital filled with critically ill children gives you compassion.  Sometimes...feeling helpless and sad leads you to take action.

This is how my oldest is managing her grief.  She is trying to turn it around and make something beautiful with it.  Four months after Nate died, she discovered Soccer for Hope.  I've posted about it a few times:

2010
2012
2013

This past December, the couple that founded the organization to help raise money for pediatric cancer research and treatment had to bury their SECOND child.  Their daughter Abella who was born 5 years after they started the camps died from Cancer (their son Hudson died in 2008 - just after Nate).

Our entire family has been involved with helping this organization and raising money for it, but my oldest has embraced it the most.  She LOVES soccer and has a heart for sick kids.  A perfect match.

This year she raised $1,305 from donations and bake sales.  Overall, in the past 6 years, she has raised over $7,000.  Pretty amazing for one kid.

I see other teens that have lost siblings or experienced tragedies experimenting with destructive things.  I'm so grateful that she chooses to focus on helping others.  I hate that she has had such a rough childhood...but I love how she is choosing to live her life.








Mia Hamm stopped by the camp again this year.  She visited in 2008 (just after Nate died) and personally spoke with my daughter.  Mia's brother also died...it was so important to know that she wasn't alone.  I just love when our sports idols are also amazing human beings.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's interesting that you "hate that she's had such a rough childhood"... from this post it seems like just the opposite..so many more blessings and wonderful experiences because of it. You are a wonderful mom to have her involved in this.

Christy said...

She sounds like a special kid and I know the feeling from a mom's standpoint of gratitude for having her in your life. You are blessed, Trisha. You are strong and healthy and beautiful and you are raising some amazing young adults, too. They are who they are because of you. thinking of you ...

Ashley said...

So neat. There are such amazing people in this world, and she, at such a young age.