Tuesday, November 3, 2009

conclusion

Every experiment needs a conclusion - right?  So, I'm going to attempt to sum up what I have learned this past week.

I have learned that I am stronger than I feel.  I feel like a broken, rejected and vulnerable 13 year old girl.  I feel like anytime someone says something hurtful, I take it personally and crumble.  I feel like I've been rejected by the masses and there are few people that want to be my friend.  The way that I feel has prevented me from being the person that I want to be.  My insecurities have taken control over me...and I have allowed them to.

Thorough my JOY experiment, I challenged my so called self-talk.  During the week, I made most of my decisions based on who I wanted to be and not how I felt.  I did things that I didn't feel that I could do.  I took charge of situations to ensure that they would have positive outcomes and it felt good.  I didn't realize that I was able to do some of the things that I did and react some of the ways that I reacted until I did.  Sometimes, I shocked myself.

I also learned that I have more people supporting me than I ever thought.  I can't begin to tell you how much I have appreciated all of the comments that were made on my posts and the supporting words that were given to me.  It really kept me going.  I can't imagine what that type of support would have felt like when Nate died.  Really, I can't even imagine.  But I am grateful that I am able to feel it now.  So, to everyone that has sent me an email or made a comment, I thank you.  It means more than you know.

The final lesson that I learned was that I am ready to be joyful.  I mourned Nate's death for 18 months.  I felt every single ounce of pain and experienced every emotion possible.  I lived as a grief-stricken mother.  That was good for me.  I needed to do that.  In the beginning, our counselor told us that it was important to travel through the grief.  If we tried to deny or escape it, it would come back to bite us later.  So, I allowed myself to do that.  I had many people tell me that "I should be over it by now" along the way but I wasn't.  Nothing that anyone said would have ended my season of mourning.  I needed to decide when I was ready and not a moment before. 

Now that I am ready to start living joyfully I recognize that the path will not be easy.  My heart is forever broken from Nate and there will not be a single day that passes that my soul doesn't ache for him.  I am going to allow myself to be sad when reminders hit, milestones pass and dates occur.  I'm just not going to allow myself to live in that sadness.  I'm going to demand more of myself on a day to day basis.  I think that I can do it.  I want to do it. 

Please continue to pray for me and my family.  I don't know that any of us will ever be truly healed and we have many obstacles in our way.  I know that we are going down the right path but it is not a straight one and I can't see where it's leading.  Blind faith my friends, blind faith.

12 comments:

Emmy said...

Okay, I have to go back through this and read all your posts. But, please always know, we pray for you and your family every night. Out of all the people who have walked this journey with me, you're one of a handful I feel completely comfortable with, and I will always thank God for providing me with you and those others to get me through this dark time. I love you, Trisha! You're my sister in the truest sense. ((hugs))

Rebecca said...

I think the part that resonates most with me is where you said: Nothing that anyone said would have ended my season of mourning. It sounds like you are choosing life and joy, as difficult as that may be sometimes. Thanks for sharing your 'experiment' with the rest of us!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

You have a beautiful heart and it shows through every post....

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.

Cheryl said...

You are such an inspiration to me. I'm still praying for you and your family.

Claire said...

I am so proud of you for what you have accomplished these last few days - you have so much truth to share and it resonates with so many of us. I contine in prayer for you and your family.
"Blessed is the woman who listens to Me, watching daily at My gates, waiting at the posts of My doors. For whoever finds Me finds life." Prov. 8:34-35 I encourage you to stay close to Jesus - He will lead you through.

Holly said...

I think you've done a fantastic job this last week in finding joy! Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Sara x said...

A lovely post to read and you have done a fantastic job this week and believing in yourself is one of the first steps. So i've been told i have to get there myself. I know my heart is forever going to miss a piece and that piece wont be replaced until i am with my daughter in heaven. Good luck as you move forward in to happiness xx

Christmas with Kasey said...

you can do it, you have done it! I am proud of you, what you have done this past week takes a lot and YOU did it!! You heart will always miss and break for Nate, there is nothing wrong with that. As you said people told you that you should be over it... that hurts, I can't imagine what you felt like. ((hugs))

Christy said...

You proved to yourself you can do it and I anticipate a continuation of that. You will continue to inspire others on your same journey.
xxxooo
Christy

Susan said...

Dear Trisha,

First, it's so nice to meet you! What a beautiful family you have.

I read your story before this post.

I'm so sorry about your precious Nate. There are just no words to express how sorry I am.

He was beautiful, just like the rest of your family.

I'm so blessed you are working hard toward "JOY".

No one can ever imagine what you've endured these last 18 months, but Jesus can.

Thanks so much for the advice you took the time to share. I pray many will read it and use it.

Praying for God's comfort to surround you, and His grace to uphold you until you hold your son again.

I'll be back!!!!

Love,

Susan

Corie said...

I find it amazing that I have been struggling with many similar thoughts and emotions that the Lord would bring me here...that is no accident! Thank you for your posts on Joy...it is something I have been praying for. To take a turn on this journey of grief. Our sons diagnosis day was Octobet of 2007...he was our fifth to AND his name is Larson. Thank you for sharing your week...your thoughts and emotions. I know sharing makes us vulnerable, but I also know that it helps others more then you know. Some may comment..some may quietly leave their computer comforted that they are not alone on this path. Praying for you as you continue to seek Joy. I am also hoping to let go of some of the hurt and heartache....day by day!