Saturday, November 28, 2009

honestly

I've never been good at being fake.  You may think that's a good thing but it's not always.  Sometimes, I want to pretend to be happy even when I'm not.  Sometimes, I want to have a nice conversation with someone that I don't like.  But those things are extremely hard for me.  I tend to shut down when I'm uncomfortable.  I don't think that I'm mean to them but I don't think that I'm friendly either. 

This blog is the place where I can be truly honest.  I can say what I want and tell you all how I feel.  I don't have to try and pretend about anything.  It's such a freeing feeling.  It's so nice that I don't have to worry about my "friends and family" reading this.  They have no idea that it even exists.

I've thought a lot about honesty lately.  Many times, when I meet another mom that has buried a child, they come across to me like everything is fine and they are not struggling.  It tends to make me feel like a complete failure.  It makes me feel bad that I'm not as "together" as they are and that I should "be over it by now".  Part of me wants to be them.  The person that moves along with life as if their family wasn't just turned upside down by a tragedy.  But, that's not me.  That will never be me.  I cannot pretend that Nate's death didn't change who I am.  I cannot pretend that my heart is not broken.  I don't even want to try.

I think that if I could pretend that life was just dandy, I would have more friends.  People are attracted to the "fun" ones that love life.  People don't typically want to listen to a friend talk about how much she misses her son or how hard it is to live life on a daily basis.  That's why previous generations used to just stuff it and pretend like nothing ever happened.  

When I was reading all of the grief books that I was given I had such a hard time relating to them.  I felt like they "grieved" better than me.  I felt like a complete failure when compared to how the other moms dealt with it.  I felt alone. 

I want anyone who reads this to know how vulnerable I am and I want to be transparent.  I am a real person that watched her son die a horrific death.  I kissed him goodbye and I buried him in the ground. 

I struggle with who I am and who I want to become. 
I struggle with friends who want the "old Trisha" back. 
I struggle with family who don't have a clue about how to relate to my family. 
I struggle with raising my 4 kids who desperately want their baby brother back and don't understand why God won't give us another. 
I struggle with God when He keeps saying no to my prayers.  
I struggle with finding Joy in the midst of heartache. 
I'm a changed person that is finding her way down an unknown path but I still struggle. 

I haven't posted this weekend because I was struggling with what to say.  I've been doing really well on my quest for Joy and didn't want to go backward.  But, in being true to who I am, I want to be honest.  So, I will tell you that I'm glad that Thanksgiving is behind me.  It was a struggle.  I was doing well until my husband blessed the food and thanked God that we were "all together" as a family.  I couldn't believe that he didn't acknowledge Nate.  We will never be together as a family for Thanksgiving and that is why holidays are so tough.  My Mom, who will never understand, replied that her son wasn't with her either (my 36 year old brother was sick and stayed at home).  Hardly a comparison but I should know not to expect any type of support from my mom. 

My husband felt bad and apologized about leaving out Nate.  I think that he just went into autopilot and prayed like his Father always prayed over the Thanksgiving meal.  But, our Thanksgiving will never be as his Father's was.  Our life will be good but it will never be like I want it to be.  And that my friends is the honest truth.

12 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so sorry that your life has forever been changed. I am really sorry for the comparison your mother made, sometimes people just don't think. (even our own parents) I know your husband didn't leave Nate out on purpose but I also know that no matter how much they love their children they did not carry them inside and just can't feel what we feel. My husband is real good at saying "your an adult Debby, get over it." I have not had your pain but I have experienced things in life that have turned me into a very unhappy person. I want to be who I use to be but it will never happen.
The hurt is deep and I can't crawl out of the hole. Some days I laugh and appreciate them when they happen. I will pray for your comfort.

Krista said...

Trisha, I understand completely. I think you need to be completely honest with yourself when you're grieving. I think it's good to recognize things in your life that you would like to change, but nobody can force themselves to react certain ways either...especially when you're dealing with things that hurt. And that's okay. You are a mom in deep pain that few people understand, and you are just doing what you can to get through the day...and that is enough. By being honest, maybe that will help you be gentler with yourself as you take care of you and your family's needs.

I understand where you're coming from because I can't go along either like my life wasn't turned upside down by tragedy. My heart will always have a hole in it too due to our loss. Someone will always be missing, and it hurts so much. I just wanted to reach out to let you know I'm still following you and that I'm struggling too. November has been a really rough month. Like you, I can see what I have that I am thankful for this year (where last year I couldn't), but I am still so very sad. Sending lots of hugs, Krista

margaret said...

Trisha I appreciate your candor. I too struggle, more than I feel other babylost mothers struggle at times. I've been in mourning for my son for over a year now. I want to feel better, I want to feel joy in my life, but I am learning that some days it just doesn't happen and it's okay. It's hard to let go of our before lives, I have struggled with that the most since saying good-bye to Calvin. I miss the old life, the life I had before the worst pain in the world wrapped it's chains around me. I am starting to accept that it will not come back. I am also learning that finding joy again is not about not loving Calvin. For a long time, I believed that the pain kept him close to me, because it was something tangible that I could feel. I can't live my life anymore being destroyed by grief because I have two other children and a husband who need me to focus on them too. It doesn't mean I can't love my son forever, or cry for him when I need to, it just means that I have to live again, for myself and for my family. It's so hard to do some days and I'm not going to be perfect at it, but they deserve it and so do I. Sending you hugs

Emmy said...

I just wish I was closer so I could hug you!!!

Holly said...

It's hard not to compare youself with how others are doing. I've done it myself and it makes me feel like crap b/c then I start thinking I should be doing better or that I shouldn't be doing this good. It messes with you so I try to stay away from it (not always easy!). I think it's important to be honest with how you are feeling. One of the reasons I continue to write is to have what I was feeling at that time down to look back on. Not now, but years from now.

I know Thanksgiving was tough. "Our life will be good but it will never be like I want it to be." Exactly.

Celia said...

Trisha,
I agree wholeheartedly. I totally get that and I think it is true. Trying to pretend and behave as if life is just "hunky dory" is not who I am and I can't behave that way just to make people more comfortable to be around me. If they don't like this new me then they don't have to be around me which is why I have lost a lot of friends through this journey. But I have gained so many great friends who get me because they are on the same journey.

I stayed home by myself this holiday and intend to do it again for Christmas. Like you said, I just can't go be around all our family and pretend that I'm okay.....because I'm not. I never will be again.

Just know that I understand and pray for you like mad. You are not a failure and you are not alone.

Much love, friend......

R said...

I've never been good at being fake either- at least not with certain people. My husband always says he can read my emotions all over my face. I'm glad you feel comfortable being real on here. I can generally be real on my blog but never as real as I sometimes want to be (at the very least because my parents read it). That's sometimes hard for me- not being able to get everything out. Thank you for your honesty and transparency. So much of what you share I can connect to- even when I can't say it myself.

Christmas with Kasey said...

Sending you lots of hugs, I am glad there is somewhere you can go to be honest. Things will never be the same, some will never understand and try to.

Christy said...

Trisha....I know. It will never be what it should be. I am so sorry. I wish I was there to hug you. But know I am holding your hand this holiday season. For you and for me.
Christy

Sara x said...

I wish we all lived closer so we could be friends. Last year at christmas dinner i wanted to mention LIvvy and my mom said no, she said i dont want to upset people (WHAT) my heart was broken my children's and husbands heart was broken i dont think it was possible to be anymore upset.

This year we are staying home, we will remember our precious daughter and i like you refuse to be fake. Our children were real, we are real people shall have to accept us with our grief or leave us alone. This is where i am at the moment. Im holding on just. I pray with you for joy xxx

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

Trisha, I want to be more like YOU. Serioulsy, i want to be honest and forthright.. I don't want to tell people I"m fine because I just can't go there again today.. Thanksgiving was hard for us too. My family almost pretends to put forth effort.. but my sister didn't want to go see Seth's marker, they hid (behind other people) the "Seth Bear" in the family photograph (heck, they half hid our daughter..).

But at the same time, iwant to, as I know you do, Choose joy. It's a hard walk.

Monica said...

Trish, you just summed up how I'm feeling exactly at this moment. We lost our baby girl Gracie Dec. 10, 2009, and I'm just realizing how it has completely changed me forever. I'm not ever going to get over it. And I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for your honesty because I know that I'm not alone. Thank you.