Thursday, October 6, 2011

outside & inside

On the outside:

I am 28 weeks pregnant but have yet to wear a single item of maternity clothes.  I have carefully watched my weight and have continued to exercise regularly so my regular clothes still fit (thanks to "low rise" shorts and jeans).  With my other kids, I was in maternity clothes by 16-20 weeks but this time I just have no desire to wear them.  I contribute part of it to the fact that I don't want to bring attention to the fact that I'm pregnant.   Some people are judgemental about this being our 6th child and the potential of risking another heart defect.  Others claim that they are thrilled for us and don't have any idea that we have apprehension or mixed feelings of joy and fear.  It's just easier to not get the questions and deal with all of the comments.

On the inside:

After Nate died, we desperately wanted to have another baby.  There was a huge void in our hearts and we thought that a baby would help fill that.  We also just needed God to say "yes" to something.  He said "no" to so many of our requests the past few years.  Everything from denying our pleas to save our sons life... to family/friend support with our grief... to numerous health issues in our family.  It was so hard to feel so rejected over such a long period of time.  We were in the middle of a storm and we couldn't see the end to it.

Last Fall, I received some advice that I talked about here.  I was told that there's nothing that I can do to end this storm and it will be over when it's over.  So, I began focusing on "what is" rather than "what I want it to be".  It was life changing.  I became truly content with what I had and where I was in life.  The possibility of another baby seemed extremely unlikely and was frankly an overwhelming thought with our expanding sports schedule craziness.  My kids still asked about it from time to time and  I began telling them "probably not" with a smile on my face instead of with tears in my eyes. 

So we were truly shocked to discover that we were pregnant last Spring.  The thought is even funnier that God decided to give us a Christmas baby when I have always purposely avoided/prevented the possibility of having any of my kids anywhere near the holiday craziness. Ha!  He got me this time! 

We experienced complications during the first trimester and therefore decided to keep the pregnancy quiet.  We travelled up to LA to meet with specialists and had every known screening test and numerous ultrasounds.  Week to week, we didn't know what to expect but all of the tests came out normal and we learned that we were indeed having a healthy baby.  We had to tell the kids in July (too hard to hide Mommy's growing tummy in a bikini) but didn't tell family until August.  

Our kids are absolutely thrilled.  They were literally jumping up and down and talk about the baby constantly.  However, it's sad that they don't remember what it's like to have a normal baby experience.  Here are the questions that they ask all of the time:

Do you think it's a boy or a girl (we don't know)?
Do you think this baby is going to live or die?
If this baby gets sick, can we go back to the first hospital because it was better?
Which Ronald McDonald House are we going to stay at?
Who is going to stay with us while you are at the hospital for all those weeks?

and a repeated one from my son:
If this baby is a girl can we please keep trying until we get another boy?


So now as I begin my last trimester I am hopeful and terrified all at the same time.  I know from experience that just because you are pregnant doesn't mean that you will get to bring home a baby.  I know from all of the other baby loss mama's that a myriad of things can happen and just because I have already buried a child gives me no guarantee.  So I just try not to think about it.  I focus on what is right now and I try not to worry too much about the future.  Today is good and I am rejoicing.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

I was thinking of your family the other night and stopped to pray for all of you - including your newest little blessing on the way!

I pray the rest of your pregnancy is smooth sailing...with 'blue sky's ahead'! :)

Cannot wait to find out if you are blessed by a girl or a boy!! How exciting for all of you.

Emmy said...

Today, this moment, is all we have. I'm so proud of you for living in the present. Rejoice today, live it to the fullest. It's a great lesson for your kids, too. ((hug)) Congratulations!

Veronica said...

Praise the Lord for a good day! I'm so thankful too that his mercies are new every morning. I think about you often and pray that you will have so much joy brought to your family with this little addition. And that the Lord will bless you with a wonderful gift this Christmas. I will continue to pray for you!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your baby will be here in no time. Keeping your little one in my prayers. Can't wait to meet your newest addition to your family. Don't ever worry about what others think. This will be such a beautiful blessing to you family. ((HUGS))

Mrs. Frogster said...

so amazed and excited for you and your family! I have not been as faithful to my blog reading as of late and totally missed the big announcement! We are due close to the same time (my due date is the beginning of December)! :)
sending lots of love and hugs and praying that the rest of this pregnancy goes smoothly for you and that God will help calm all the worries and fears.

MommyIvy said...

Praying for you and your family! I am excited for you!

Christy said...

So excited for you Trisha! I hate that the kids know the fear of losing their baby brother/sister......but they will re-learn how happy this moment will be, too! This little one will be loved (and already is) more than he/she will ever know! Sending you hugs...

Lisette said...

I have been out of the loop in blog land. I AM SO HAPPY for you and your family. Sending you many many prayers.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Holly said...

I def don't blame you for keeping quiet. Been thinking bout you!

Jennifer said...

Big hugs to you my friend!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful news. After loosing what was our 5th Baby (pregnancy) and thinking we would only have 3 healthy, beautiful babies, God blessed us with a 4th, our beautiful Analeigh (of course we sold everything-ha!) I was fearful that whole time because of the experience before her and now I am sorry for that because I loved being pregnant and we won't get to have anymore. One thing I have learned is that God is in control and if I say I trust Him and love Him, it has to be during not only the good and happy times, but the hard and sad times as well. Praying for a beautiful, healthy baby and that you might be able to enjoy the rest of this pregnancy. Praying that all fear would be gone from your heart. I can't wait to see photos and here about all the joyful news. May your heart be filled to the brim and then overflowing with God's grace and mercy and joy and peace beyond all understanding!
Hugs
Jill