Wednesday, September 16, 2009

birthday week

This week is a little overwhelming for me. I have all 3 of my daughter's birthday's. Shayna turns 11 tomorrow and Kyla and Kaylee turn 5 on Sunday. Along with taking them to Disneyland on their birthdays (our family tradition), I am throwing 2 birthday parties in 1 week! To top it off, my birthday is also thrown into this crazy week and my husbands is in 2 weeks.

I have mixed feelings about birthdays now. I used to absolutely love them. Both mine and my kids. I have always thrown big, fun parties for my kids with tons of stuff and dozens of people. The best memories of my childhood were my birthday parties so I wanted to give that to my kids as well. Plus, I have to admit that I have always loved the party planning. I'm very creative and it's a good outlet for me.

Last year, I don't know how I even got through birthday week. Somehow I managed to do it and throw 2 parties for my girls. I even have pictures to prove it. However, I was not in a good place and I did not get any enjoyment out of it. Last year, every holiday or event was filled with sadness. It's those days when families are supposed to be together and Nate wasn't here. It was hard to face the fact that someone would always be missing from our family. We would never be complete.

I'm also having a hard time dealing with the fact that my kids are growing up. It seems like just yesterday that I had 3 kids in diapers (Noah was 2 when the twins were born) and was changing 25 diapers a day. Now they're so grown up and independent. It makes me sad.

At present, I'm finding myself caught in between two sets of emotions. I'm still sad that Nate isn't here. That we won't ever celebrate his birthday with him and that he won't be here to celebrate ours. But, I also realize what a gift it is that God has given me 11 years with Shayna and 5 years with the twins. It is special. It does deserve to be recognized and celebrated. God does want me to rejoice about that.

So, as I go forth with my crazy birthday week, I am making a concerted effort to rejoice. I admit that I am overwhelmed with both emotions and things that I need to get done. But, I am going to allow myself to celebrate and enjoy what I have.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was just thinking about you and going to email and thought I'd check here first... I'm praying for you this week (as always). I'm praying you'll able to enjoy every minute of it. Sure wish I were there... Kate even asked if we were going down for the twins party. Too cute! :) They would have so much fun being able to hang out on a regular basis!

Love you and miss you and Happy Birthday to all you Larson girls!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So did you get their free passes this year.
I am going on my birthday and if my family wants to come they have to get their own tickets. (They are all adults) I don't mind going on my own. I am avoiding a class reunion in Chicago because I just can't be seen in this fat suit! Mickey won't care. ((HUGS))

Danielle said...

Oh my goodness. Aren't you the busy one. Good luck during birthday week. I don't envy you in the least. Well, disney sounds fun, but other than that...

Christmas with Kasey said...

((hugs)) You are busy busy! I went to Disneyland for my birthday this year too (july) yes crazy. I hope that everyone has happy birthday's.

Thinking of you

Holly said...

Wow! 3 birthdays in a week! I give you lots of kudos for pulling off parties!! You're right about the years being gifts. Those years should definitely be celebrated. I loved birthday parties growing up. They were such a fun time to spend with my friends. I hope that you have more moments of joy than sadness

Mary said...

May the birthday week be filled with joy. I know you will be a busy bee. Hope you're able to some you time.

Rebecca said...

I feel the same way about birthdays now too! After having a stillbirth and meeting so many women online that have no living children, I have come to realize how truly precious a BIRTH day really is. Something I have taken so lightly in the past.

Praise God for the years you are celebrating this birthday week!

Christy said...

I know how you feel. I'm afraid family get togethers are forever going to be sad for me...and I am not going to be "allowed" to show it. That's one thing I can't believe they don't understand...how could I be so sad when everyone is together. But it is not who is together but rather who is not. And I will never ever get around that. When the famil gets together, I will always be missing my Chase a little extra.
xxxooo

Celia said...

I hope the week is extra special for you.

Jodi Lansink said...

Hope this week is everything you hope it is, and are enjoying it! Happy Birthday!!

Claire said...

Tried to leave a message the other day and lost it - just want you to know that I am praying for you and yours - Happy Birthday!!!

Kimberly @ RaisingOlives said...

I thought that we were busy with 4 of our children's birthdays within one month, but none of them fall in the same week. Hope you have a blessed and happy week of celebrations!

Just this summer we had friends that lost their 4 month old son to Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. As I pray for them I will pray for you.

Blessings,
Kimberly