Wednesday, September 9, 2009

change


Summer is officially over - my kids went back to school this week. I'm having a hard time with it. I don't like change and I seriously hate that my kids are growing up so fast. Shayna just started middle school (6th grade) and Noah is already in 2nd. The twins are doing another year of preschool (3 mornings a week) and I'm so glad that I didn't send them to Kindergarten this year. Life is crazy with 2 different drop off times and 3 different pick up times. Thankfully, all my kids are on the same campus which makes it do-able.

As they returned to school this week I'm the one having a difficult time. I'm finding it hard to be a part of all of the superficial chatter and social activities. I'm finding it hard to pretend that everything is fine. I'm finding it hard to relate to other moms with their happy, healthy kids and their adorable little babies.

I used to love to talk with other parents. I used to love to volunteer to be room mom and help with PTA events. I used to love to be social. Now, I just keep to myself. I take my kids where they need to go, offer a "hello" now and then and pretty much dash off to my car - alone.

Some of the other moms don't know me and have no idea that our son died last year. Other moms were once friendly and now avoid me like the plague. A few make an attempt to say hello, greet me with a smile and invite me to their events. It's nice to be acknowledged but I feel like a fish out of water. I just squirm and can't wait to get back to the safety of my house and my close friends. When I am home, I don't have to worry about what people might say or what they might think. It's safe. But, it's also lonely there. I'm supposed to be taking care of Nathan. It's supposed to be lively and chaotic with an 18 month old running around everywhere. But, instead...it's quiet. I'm alone.

God keeps giving me Phillipians 4:4
Rejoice in the Lord, always.

Everywhere I turn, this verse is staring at me - seriously! I've spent much of the last year trying to rejoice. Trying to focus on what I have and not what's been taken away. I've found that it's easy for me to do that when my kids are around. I am so thankful for them and I can focus on the blessing that they are. But now that they are gone, I'm having a hard time.

I know that it will get better. I will get used to the schedule and I will have time in the mornings to exercise, meet with friends and run errands. I will be okay. I'm just not good with change and it will take a while.

13 comments:

Angie said...

Praying for you my dear, I know the feeling of just wanting to be alone. I hope you can get in this new routine and will get used to this change.

Thinking of you...

Emmy said...

I'll bet I can think of a change that you'll welcome with open arms.

Praying for that change, sister. It's coming. :)

Veronica said...

I can totally relate to not enjoying change very much. I will pray that things will get better for you and that you'll enjoy your time while the kiddos are at school.

Danielle said...

Don't you just hate feeling like you have the plague? It's bad enough to have a baby die, but all the waves of isolation that follow are uncalled for. They just add salt to injury. And small talk just seems trivial... I hope things start getting a little easier for you. Okay... A LOT easier. I'm here if you ever want to talk. Shoot me an e-mail if you need an understanding and non judgmental ear, and I'll send you my phone #.

Jennifer said...

Praying for you, as always. I wish I were there and we could do that crazy walk together every morning.

Here's to Phil...

Holly said...

I find it easier to be happy and not really dwell on things because of Kyndra. She keeps me busy and focused. Change can be hard to adjust too. I think it would be hard to deal being around all the other parents with their many kids and babies. I just go to work and then go home most of the time.

Christmas with Kasey said...

((hugs)) minus having other children I completely understand :(
You will get into a routine that works for you, things will get better, I hope, that is what I keep telling myself...

Oddly enough, my word verification was tough...

Jodi Lansink said...

I feel the same way...am having a hard time today knowing I have to go on a weekend overnight trip with my daughter and her girl scout troop tomorrow night....with all the other mothers, (several of which have never even aknowledged the fact I even had a baby just 8 weeks ago) I am sooo anxious about it, I too feel like a fish out of water, I feel fine in my own house, with my kids, family and close friends...so this is just almost too much for me to handle right now....but I have to do it for my daughter. Thanks for the post...makes me feel so much better knowing I am not alone with how I feel.

Courtney Cloud said...

I understand. I feel like a fish out of water a lot too. I'm praying for you. Sending you love from Alabama.

Claire said...

Quite a few years ago I was in a group and one of the discciplines we agreed to was to do one caring act a week - and I was amazed how easy and what a blessing it was to myself to intentionally do something caring for someone else. We really tried to instill in our daughters and reinforce in ourselves the ability to look around and see how we can care for others and to leave a place "better than we found it" (I especially try to apply the "better than I found it" to the Ladies Rooms at work - when I don't really want to and sometimes it just means leaving the paper towel ready for the next person!)anyway - you really inspire me to look around - to listen - and to try and be more God-directed to how I can help someone. You are inspiring us all to be more sensitive to others - to love one another. You are a blessing.

Angie said...

Thinking of you, hope you are doing well!

Mary said...

I understand the avoiding of public. It is hard to face people for me too. I just feel so unpredictable around them. I am hoping that today finds you better.

Veronica said...

Trisha,

Got your comment tonight. Was just wondering if you happen to use the medium beige colored foundation? If so, maybe I can send it to you. The kit I got comes with two shades of foundation and I am using the medium shade. Let me know if you can use the one I don't need!

Thinking about you tonight and hoping that you're doing okay!