Friday, January 8, 2010

award and 7 things...




Thank you to Holly for giving me this special award.  This is my second award and it feels good to be honored in this way.  Especially since today has been a little rocky.

The rules for this award are that I am supposed to share 7 things about myself and then send the award to 7 people.  I am not one to break the rules but I already typed my entire post up and then when I was trying to paste the award onto it...I lost everything.  So, now I'm starting over and I'm on borrowed time with school about to be out, soccer practice and then bible study.  So...I'll do what I can.

7 things that you may not know (or want to know) about me:

1.   I have known my husband since I was 12 years old.  We went to the same Jr. High and High School but didn't start dating until we went to separate colleges.  And no, I never imagined that we would end up married.

2.  I was a competitive gymnast as a kid and then I was a cheerleader in high school then college and I worked for UCA and travelled around teaching cheer camps to high school kids.

3.  I have a Bachelor's degree in Communication from Cal State University Long Beach and a Masters in Business Administration from Pepperdine University.  At present I am not using either (though it does come in handy trying to help my 11 year old daughter with her Algebra homework).

4.  I absolutely LOVE Diet Coke but try to limit myself to 1 or less a day.  Usually I am successful but today I had 2.

5.  I am a quasi-photographer.  Admittedly self taught but I used to have a decent business going until Nathan died.  I've lost most of my clients and I don't really want to pursue photographing babies so business is slow.  I need to start working again to help out financially.  One day, I hope to volunteer at our local hospital so that I can take pictures for families that experience the death of a baby.  I took pictures for a friend whose baby died at 36 weeks years ago and I hope to be able to do that for others as well.

6.  I am your typical first born type A personality.  I struggle with not being able to control things, situations...okay basically everything.  This is why Nate's death has been particularly hard.  I work on the premise (albeit false) that if I do A...then B will happen.  We did A...but then Nate still died.  Turning it over to God is a work in progress for me.  It's not in my nature, but I'm trying.  I'm trying really hard.

7.  I am forever changed since Nate's death.  I am more insecure and vulnerable now.  But, I also have a deeper appreciation for life, friends and family.  My perspective has grown as well as my compassion.  I have faced more sadness and heartache than most people my age but I also have a greater awareness of pain and joy (in both myself and others).  It's an expensive ticket to ride my roller coaster.  I would have never purchased one.  But, now that I am on it, I will make it to the end and I will find joy before it's over.

3 blogs that I want to honor (I wish that I had time for more)

1.  Christy
Christy's life parallels mine in many ways.  I feel a connection with her and I know her pain well.

2.  Courtney
Courtney is a sweet blogging friend who also has a son named Nate up in Heaven.  She is also the one who encouraged me to start my blog and helped me set it up.

3.  Angie
Angie has given me so much encouragement these past few months and I appreciate it more than she will ever know.


I wish that I had time for more.  If you haven't visited their blogs, please pop over and say hello. 

9 comments:

Jodi Lansink said...

You are a great blogger and deserve the reward! Glad you posted those tidbits about yourself!

margaret said...

Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us Trisha, I love reading about other babylost mamas interests besides what we all have in common. Sending you hugs

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing Trisha! I have enjoyed learning more about you :) I completely agree with number 7 - I couldnt have said it better myself. We are also alike on number 6 - being first born really hinders us trying to control "our situations", for lack of better word at the moment.

You are so sweet to give me this award! I will do it this weekend for sure!!

Oh - I got the Christmas card I sent you back yesterday...I forgot to put postage on it!! Ugh - figures right? SO you are getting a very belated one hopefully soon!!

Holly said...

I competed in gymnastics too! I loved it! I want to put Kyndra in it when she gets a little older. I so agree with number 7.

Christy said...

Thank you for the props Trisha. Haven't had a chance to work on the award yet, will write it up later.
It was neat to learn more about you...and fun! I really do wish we were closer because it would be wonderful to get together with you in person. You are an inspiration to me just from what I read on your blog. I can't imagine knowing the "real" you how much I'd get out of that!
Wishing good things for you in 2010. Sending as many hugs...
christy

Christy said...

oh my gosh...Ijust thought about the comment I left...i did NOT mean "real you"! I mean the "entire you"! Your blog is very real. Frankly, that is what I get out of it...raw emotion, real thoughts, questions, positives, negatives. But I know there is more to you, and that's the part that would be neat to get to know, too.
does that make sense? I should reread before I post a comment!
xoxo

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Congratluation on your award. This was passed on to me too from Mary. I will post tomorrow. I am so happy to know you

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Congratulations....I loved reading your list.

I have a fun giveaway on my blog...a $100 prize ..comments will be closed on Monday night, but today's entries get extra chances...so stop by and join in the fun.

Kelly said...

Hello Trisha,
My name is Kelly. Unfortunately our family is on a very similar journey as yours - trudging through this uncharted teritory..alone.

I would absolutely love to speak to you through email, if you are up for it...I know life is busy - and emotions are mixed, so I don't want to bombard you..I will go ahead and leave my email address for you if you are up for talking...

I pray you and your family are having a wonderful day - and thank you for speaking so boldly about this journey - it has certainly helped me to know that we are not truly 'alone' these days...

God bless you all.

Kelly - momleavingalegacy@yahoo.com

"A true friend is one who walk in when the rest of the world walks out" :0)