I've been trying to wrap my head around this whole "stillness" thing. It's very outside of my box so I didn't even know where to begin. Honestly, I can't even sit still when I'm watching TV at night. I'm always folding clothes, doing sit ups or pushups or some other random thing. There are always so many things to do and so little time that I don't allow myself to "be still".
This weekend I got sick. I woke up on Saturday with a sore throat, headache and slight fever. My plans of spending the day with the family at Disneyland were in question. I really wanted to go because we are expecting 7+ days of straight rain and I wanted to be outside before we were forced in for the week. Normally, I would go anyway and just feel yucky. I even showered and got dressed. But this day was different. This day I reluctantly made a decision to take the day off. To be still.
What I didn't expect was how much I would enjoy the simplicity and "stillness" of the day. I layed on the couch and my sweet hubby took care of the kids and the housework. I didn't know that he had it in him but to my surprise, the whole world didn't fall apart when I took a day off. It was so nice. I played games with my kids (I'm really good at Princess Memory now), watched football and just chilled. Instead of the day flying by like it normally does... it lasted.
On Sunday, I was feeling better and was able to return to my Mom duties but I decided to try to keep it simple. For the second day in a row, we didn't leave the house. The kids were pretty much in their pj's all weekend. They didn't even get a single bath or shower! They loved it and so did I.
So, thank you Lord for bringing sickness upon me and showing me what it's like to be still. I'm definitely going to try and incorporate more of that into my life.
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #663
2 days ago
8 comments:
((hugs)) Glad that you were able to see that it is good and fun too :) to do not a whole lot and "be still" Its so hard being a mommy you have tons of things to get done, but you need to take care of yourself too!
Nicolle
This is a really good reminder that some of the best moments can come from being 'still'. Our lives are always so busy busy and I think we could all use some slowing down. I'm glad that you are better!
There's something to be said about taking some time to just "be". In our busy lives we often forget what it's like to just relax and have a quiet day at home. I treasure our rainy days for that. There's nothing better than leaving the girls to play in their pj's, snuggling up under a blanket and reading a good book. A break from routine can be just what we need to renew our energy and commitment to what we "need" to do day to day. I'm so glad you had a day to be still and enjoy the quiet despite being sick. Hope you're feeling better Trisha.
That sounds wonderful. You really needed that.
That does sound wonderful!
Good for you! I feel like I have days like that all too often---but the way you put it---being still!!! You'll have to try to make a point to do it more often---those are my favorite kind of days!
I can't sit still, either. So much like you...
Glad you had time and glad you are feeling better.
hugs,
christy
Taking a moment to stop is something we sometimes forget. I know it was a moment that will be remembered for a long time.
Post a Comment