Monday, January 11, 2010

Prayers for Katie

Please pray for my daughter's friend, Katie this month.  In July, she was diagnosed with stage 3 Neuroblastoma and since then has successfully completed 6 rounds of chemotherapy.  Tomorrow, this sweet 9 year old girl starts her 2nd stage of treatment -- and it's a rough one.  Here's what her dad posted on their site:


The stem cell chemo is a very high dose of 3 chemicals given to her over a 4 day period. The scary part is what happens in the following days/weeks.​ Because of the high toxicity, her body will begin to "crash" on about the 2nd or 3rd day after the chemo IV's have completed. Her own stem cells that were harvested from her will be given back to her to help "rescue" her body from the poison she just received. Without this rescue, her body may begin to shut down. She may even require a second unit of her stem cells. Even with it, her blood counts in most of the critical areas will be at or near zero. She will be on Morphine for the pain and they have told us there will be days that the doctors will just recommend drugs to make her sleep so she doesn't have to endure the pain. Mouth sores will be back as well. They will also be monitoring her liver for veno-occlus​ive disease (VOD) because there is a real chance of this for her. The mortality rate of patients going through this is... well let's not go there.



Tue, 1/12 - another bone marrow aspiration (under anesthesia)​



Wed, 1/13 - admittanc​e to the isolation ward to begin hydration


Th​ur, 1/14 - chemo starts


21-28​ (plus or minus) days later - home again and recovery





Please keep praying for Katie.  I know what it's like to bury a child and I don't want her parents to know this truth.  They deserve to bring her home and watch her grow up.  We all deserve that.

9 comments:

Jodi Lansink said...

I couldn't imagine what they are going through---very scary. I will be praying.

Christmas with Kasey said...

Sending many prayers to their family Kate is a very cute little girl! ((hugs))

Nicolle

margaret said...

Keeping Katie in my thoughts and prayers Trisha. I too know the pain of burying my child and if I could wish for anything in the world it would be that no parent should ever know that horrific pain ever again. I will pray for this little girl, that she be able to cope with the pain, that the treatments are successful and that she become cancer free so that she may live a long and happy life. Sending you hugs

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little girl. I hate the she and her family are having to go through this. I will be praying for her and her family. I hope that she has a very quick recovery!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Sending my love and prayers.....

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I will be happy to pray for her and her parents as they go through these trying times.

Christy said...

Katie's story breaks my heart, having a happy healthy 9-year-old here with me. I can't imagine what she is going through. Please send her a message that we are thinking about her and praying for her.

Veronica said...

I will be praying for Katie!

Holly said...

Sending prayers up for Katie!!