Saturday, January 23, 2010

did you know...

...that taking vitamin D3 can help with seasonal depression?  I'm actually not really sure that's the right diagnosis (seasonal depression) but it can help you from feeling down on gloomy days.  I've always joked that I am SOLAR POWERED.  I need the sunshine to get my energy and my enthusiasm.  Really, I believe that.  That's why I love living in Southern California and that's why my blog is called Looking for Blue Sky.  Sunshine and blue sky just makes me happy.

This past week has not been filled with sunshine.  We had 5 straight days of pouring rain, flooding, hail and even tornadoes (not sure what tornadoes are doing in So. Ca. but they were definitely here).  Being cooped up in  a gloomy house on top of having to deal with some other family news made me sad.  I was really fighting not to crash and burn.

I spoke with my kids pediatrician who happens to be a dear, dear friend and he told me to double my dosage of Vitamin D3 on gloomy days.  Evidently it helps with this type of stuff.  So I did.  And...I do feel better.

I feel bad even typing this post because I know that so many of you out there are dealing with weather that is much worse than mine but I figured that it might help someone else so I thought that I would share.

8 comments:

Tina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jodi Lansink said...

Thanks for the advice! I can relate---I am a much happier person on sunny days when we can get out and enjoy the day. Living in Iowa limits me to those days, which is why I swear I would be a happier person if we moved somewhere SUNNY! (easier said than done!) It has been snowy and icy and foggy for the past few weeks---and I find myself falling into a slump easily----just waiting for the sun to shine again!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm going to get me some. I know that Dr.Oz says that everyone should have 15 minutes of sun each day to help with depression. We get the D from the sun.

Mary said...

Where can you buy D3? It sounds like a great idea to help beat the blues that seem so overwhelming sometimes. Glad you are finding something that works for you!

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing!! It has been gloomy, rainy & snowy in mn for awhile now - no fun!

Hope your enjoying your weekend! Talk to you soon hopefully!

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

So how much are you on? I take 1000 IUI but recently was told (by a physician) that "they" now recommend 5,000 IUI.. especially in areas with grey weather..

(I sent you a fB friend request awhile back... I think it was you)

Mary said...

I am going to buy that today. With everything else going on this week. I could use a bit of a boost.

Holly said...

Is D3 like regular D or different?