Two years ago today, I began this journey. I haven't talked much about what happened before. I wanted to share it today. Like many of you, I have been through a lot and I have come a long way. Here is the story of what started it all:
March 30, 2008
The day started off great. The ICU doctors did rounds that morning and all said that Nate looked great. All of his tubes were out with the exception of a one for his antibiotics. The cardiologist told us that his heart was functioning well and they were making plans to send him home within a day or two. The only thing that they were concerned about were his feedings. They told us that he needed to maintain full feedings in order to be released. Erik brought the kids up at about 10:30 that morning. I met them in the hall and asked him to take the kids to the playroom for a while so that Nate could focus on his 11am feeding. When we were in Los Angeles, the kids weren't allowed to stay in his room for more than a few minutes, but at CHOC, we were able to spend time together as a family and the kids got lots of time to love on their brother. Because of that, his room was noisy at times and he sometimes got distracted eating. So, Erik and the kids went off to the playroom.
At 11am I started giving Nate his bottle. He ate 1/2 of it really well and I sat him up to burp. As I did, Nathan began to struggle and his monitors started beeping. The nurse came in to see if everything was okay and within seconds, Nate turned blue from head to toe. She grabbed him out of my arms and pushed the CODE BLUE button. Within a minute, a dozen nurses, doctors and respiratory specialists were at his bedside. It was extremely chaotic. I called Erik and told him that Nate was CODE BLUE and he needed to get up here. He left the kids with hospital volunteers and hurried upstairs. Together, we sat down in the back corner of the room and started praying. We asked God to let him live and begged him not to take him. The room became louder and more chaotic as the time went on. The doctors performed CPR and intubated him (breathing tube) and he came back --but his heart rate was sporadic and he was obviously in peril. As they did an echocardiogram, Nate was looking around the room and we were talking to him. We told him how much we loved him and we told him that he was going to be okay. The results of the echocardiogram were not good. They detected something--which they suspected was a large blood clot and before we were given an explanation doctors started yelling for a cut down tray. It was exactly like the traumas that we've seen on TV, only this was our kid and it was real. We were briefly told that they did not have time to get to the operating room and they handed us masks with instructions to put them on. Then, right in front of us they began operating on our baby boy. The hospital chaplain came in and sat with us. She repeatedly insisted that we call someone to start a prayer chain. Most everyone we knew was in church at the time so we just left a handful of messages. We kept thinking that any moment they were going to say that everything was fine. He was perfectly healthy just a few moments ago.
During the next hour, they frantically tried to save him. We kept hearing them call out for "more epy" and "more blood." His body temperature was too low so they were microwaving saline and trying to warm him up. We kept praying and pleading with God. There were glimpses of hope when the surgeon would say that they had a heartbeat but that was diminished when someone else would say he's losing too much blood. At 1:10 that afternoon, the doctors all became very quiet. One of them stepped over to us and told us that they were going to stop working on him because he was gone. We pleaded for them to keep trying but they said that all of the CPR had popped his heart and there was no hope. Then a doctor told us that "they stopped." Those were the two worst words that we've ever heard and at that moment we knew that life would never be the same again. Our Nathan Ryan was gone. His heart was broken and now ours was. It took them a few minutes to put him back together and then we were able to hold him. We were holding him but he wasn't there. We had to beg the doctors to take his breathing tube out and they told us that they needed permission from the Coroner. So Erik actually had to talk on the phone to the Coroner and after an hour or so, they took it out. We held him and kissed him and cried.
But the worst wasn't over. We still had to tell the kids what happened. We went to an empty room down the hall and one by one, they brought the kids in. We are supposed to protect them and now we had to tell them that their baby brother had died. They all cried and cried. It was devastating to see our kids in that much pain and there was nothing that we could do. Friends took the kids back to the playroom so that we could say goodbye to Nathan. We held him again and we asked our Pastor to dedicate him to God. The whole day was so surreal. A few hours ago they said that we could go home and now our son was dead. And the worst part about it was that we watched him die and there was nothing that we could do.
***The hospital won't admit anything but we strongly believe that they caused the blodclot when they took out his central line 18 hours prior. We have done a lot of research and can't find any other explanation for our sweet boy to have such a large clot. For some reason they didn't detect it ...until it was too late.
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #663
2 days ago
22 comments:
Oh Trisha that was so emotional to read.. I just cant imagine what your family has been through. It is so amazing to me the journeys that God takes us on. We cannot understand WHY? now, and may never in our lifetime. The greatest pain anyone could endure would be the Loss of a Child. I may not know this Loss, but I know your family and I do understand your pain.
Hi Trisha,
I'm praying for you and your family on Nate's 2nd birthday in Heaven.
I can relate to so much of what your wrote. I share your pain and your hopes for the future.
Bea
i know. my heart aches with yours and my arms ache with the longing to hold our babies again. I know.
but we also know, while we can't understand or fathom the why, we still get to see the glory and purpose in the lives of our babies. Some days we have to choose to. Some days, we see it clearly and we can find comfort in knowing a God who holds our hearts and our babies so close to His own.
praying for your heart today and always as we are united in our loss and united in our faith.
I am so sorry that you had to witness all of that. That is so traumatic. I read this and it instantly made me cry because I can't imagine having to go through all of that. I am so so sorry, Trisha. Your faith in God is so inspiring to me, your are an amazing mommy. I know you never wanted this, none of us do but I really want to know how much I admire you. Thank you for sharing Nate's life with us.
Such a hard story to read, and for you, harder to see, experience, feel, and relive every day.
As a mother walking the same road as you...just a little farther behind...I wish I could take away your pain, I wish I could give you your little Nate back...I know that this is a wound that only heaven will heal. I am hurting with you, even though I do not know you. Praying you through.
What a horrible day. I am so sorry. ((HUGS))
Trisha,
I am so, so sorry that this happened to your precious little boy. I know I don't comment often, but I just wanted you to know that I have learned so much about having more compassion for those who are grieving from reading your blog, and about trying to understand what that is like. Thank you for sharing your story.
Kristin
Thanks for sharing this deep and private moment with Nate. Your words ran deep and my heart aches for you my friend!
Thinking & praying!
Thinking of you lots today...it aches so much. A traumatic experience alone would be enough to regroup from, but when you add grief on top of it is just too much. It is no wonder it is still so hard to cope two years later. I'm sure Nate felt your love that day, and all the days he spent with you. You had so much to give. My heart goes out to you...today and everyday. I hope you were able to spend some time with Erik and your kids to help you through the day. We're all here for you...
Thinking and praying for you. So sorry you had to go through all that. Thanx for sharing that. {{HUGS}}
Caroline
Trisha,
There are absolutely NO words that I can offer to make your journey easier - we both know that. But, I will continue to pray to a very MIGHTY God who knows your pain and also what brings you comfort...
I hate that you had to witness such tragedy right before your eyes...I hate that our babies aren't with us...I hate that our other children have suffered greatly with the loss of a sibling...I hate that this journey is SO difficult all day every day! There are days I want to just throw myself to the flow and throw a massive fit for all of the grieving mommies out there - because its plain and simple..its just NOT FAIR!
Hugs to you from Tx...
Love and hugs
Kelly
Thank you for sharing Nate's story. (((Hugs)))
Peace & love to you.
So sorry you have to live with that, Trisha. I know the anger, the fear, the confusion, the sadness all too well. I am almost a year later and I have not stopped thinking about those events--the trauma. Thankful that you had your sweet boy for those 25 days. Wishing you peace and wrapping you in love.
xo
i can only imagine how painful that day was - and continues to be - for you and your family, trisha. my heart ached for you and your little boy as i read. thank you for sharing this profound moment with us. your journey since that day and the honesty with which you express your grief is amazing, inspiring, and validating.
Oh, Trisha. Just wishing I could hug you and cry with you right now. I am just so, so sorry. :'(
Trisha...I remember reading this entry when I first started reading your blog. I cannot imagine what that must have been like to be there watching everything unfold right there in front of you.
I know that nothing could ever completely take away the pain you feel, but I pray that the Lord will continue to heal you heart and use your story to help others.
Sending a hug your way,
V
wow here I sitt crying my eyes out... how I hate that you and I have traveled the same paths. Loosing a child is the worst thing in the world... and to have such a tramatic experience makes it all the worse.... praying for you today sending many hugs!!!!! Sorry to be a few days late
WOW! I cant seem to leave your blog. This is my first time here and I believe God brought me to your blog for a reason just as he has many others.
I wanted to tell you about my story of how I met Carey. Its another inspirational way of how God can use the internet to administer His work.
Now after reading this that doesnt seem to matter. I just want to hug you through this screen as I sit here in tears. Your story is very touching. I have read many like it before, but yours reached me in a different way.
Im glad that I found your blog, and hope you know that your family will always be in our thought and prayers.
Thanks for the comment on my post at Caring for Carleigh.
With Love and Prayers,
Tim
Thanks for always sharing your heart. I love you and your family.
I forgot to add to my comment that you can find the story about Carey and I that I spoke of at my blog by clicking the picture of us in the right sidebar. The story is there in the event you are interested.
Love and Prayers,
Tim
HI Trisha,
I'm actually leaving a comment this time! I read this when you posted it but didn't have the time to leave a comment since it took me a bit to read but reading it moved me to tears and all that you and your family had to endure.
((hug))
Post a Comment