Two years ago I was in the middle of unimaginable chaos. I had just given birth, was living in a hospital, had a baby that was in the ICU fighting for his life and I was trying to balance being a mom to 4 other kids. It felt like I was in the middle of a tornado. My life was so out of control and there was nothing that I could do to stop it.
I haven't talked much about my time in the hospital with Nate before. I had visited the CTICU before I delivered him and I was in tears just walking through the unit. There were more than a dozen babies with heart conditions and they all had tubes coming out from everywhere. I knew that it was going to be tough to be a mommy of one of those babies. But I didn't know how tough. It was 100 times more difficult than I ever could have imagined.
I sat with Nathan all day every day. Most of the other mommies just visited their kids and didn't stay by their side. It was hard to be there. It was hard to watch your child suffer. It was hard to keep your cool as the monitors would alarm and the doctors had to adjust medications just to keep your child alive.
My husband was able to be there most of the first 2+ weeks but then our child care fell through and he had to go home. The first couple weeks, he went back and forth to bring our other kids up 3x a week. On those days he would spend 4-6 hours driving LA freeways and managing our other scared and confused children (not an easy task). He would drive home at 6am and wake up the kids. Then he would bring them to the hospital around 11 and we would let them peek in on Nate, then have lunch in the cafeteria. We would play for a couple hours at The Ronald McDonald house before he would have to drive them back (they would spend the night on Saturday) and then he had to listen to them crying the whole way home because they wanted their mommy. I know that it was hard on him. I was the one that took care of the home and the kids and I was completely checked out and focused on Nathan. I know that he just wanted to be with Nathan too but I am grateful that he let me be with him and he took care of everything else.
I remember thinking that the hospital should give the parents a prescription of Prozac when their child was admitted. It was so hard to live in that hospital. For almost a month, the only healthy children that I saw were my own. Everywhere you looked, there were sick kids. I can't tell you how much that will change your perspective. I vividly remember getting on my knees and crying out "mercy" to God on a daily basis. I was not strong enough to do this. I just wanted to take my baby and go home.
Life during that time was very intense. I never felt peace about Nate's condition. I always felt the need to be with him. I would stay at the hospital from 6am until 11pm. I slept a few hours (but always called to check on his status in the middle of the night) and then started my day all over again. The first 2 weeks, he was in a room with no windows. There were many days that I never saw daylight. I arrived in the dark and left in the dark and never left the hospital in between.
The nurses became my friends. I think that they should be given a bonus for having to counsel parents. They were so kind to us. I would pour out my heart about how I didn't understand how life was going on as normal for everyone we knew when our life was on hold and we were in the middle of a tornado. It felt like everyone's life should stop while we were fighting for our son's life. It hurt that it didn't.
As difficult as that time was, it was our only time with Nate. I do remember how excited I was the first time that I got to hold him and what a celebration it was when he got off the ventilator each time. I remember being so proud of him when he drank his first bottle and my heart melted each time our other kids came to see him. There were good times. They were just surrounded by complete insanity. But, this month I am trying to remember the special moments that I had. It was only 25 days. God only gave me 25 days. I am so glad that I got to spend each one of them with him.
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #663
2 days ago
11 comments:
What a beautiful post. I can't imagine living in the hospital for so long. My brother and sister in-law did that for 4 months! It was a crazy time in their lives. My first born was in the NICU only 5 (thank the Lord) and it was horrible. I hated being there but I couldn't be without him either. It was scary. The nurses do make a huge difference. I am really sorry that you only had 25 days with Nate. I think of him and you often, God bless.
Thinking of you and your family! What an amazing husband. Its hard to juggle a job and the hospital not to mention adding other children. I often thought about the other parents I saw in the NICU that had other kids and I wondered how they did it. My focus was all with Kasey. I know those 25 days with Nate were very special days that you will always cherish. (((HUGS)))
Thank you for sharing this and I hope it helped you to write it down for us to read.
Life continues to move no matter what we are going through. Nate is so adorable and it's so sad that you had to say good-bye to him. ((HUGS))
Life inside a hospital is so surreal. It is so hard to think of "normal." It is hard to imagine happiness and health. It just sucks you in.
How wonderful to be with Nate that whole time, but how horrible as well...
how amazing! I wish I would have been able to be with my son every minute of every day.. you are amazing. I am sorry you had to go through this!!
Your post brought tears to my eyes (once again). Reading your words brought me back to the time we spent with our baby girl in the hospital. We spent 4 long, terrifying months in the hospital until they ended up 'kicking us out' on hospice care...such hard, hard memories. I am so PROUD of you for trying to put your focus on the positive moments you spent with Nate..your precious, precious little boy. 9 months after our baby passed away, we had our 3rd daughter and she was diagnosed (at 27 weeks gestation) with a congenital heart defect called SVT. We had to take her to the very same hospital that we had just spent 4 long months at - that was so hard to walk those halls again. So reading your words brings many memories and emotions back to me. You are right - it does feel like a tornado when you are in the middle of something like that - wide range of emotions swirling all out of control - with no way to escape! I LOVE when you speak of little Nate. I love to learn more and more about him. Please know my family will be continuing to pray for you and your precious family.
God bless you all.
Kelly and family
I can't imagine what it was like during that time b/c I haven't experienced it but I know it would be difficult to see so many sick kids. While times were tough, you realize that those moments are moments with your precious son. Moments you will always cherish.
So sorry you had to go through all that. I pray for you so much and so sad to see so many sick kids too. {{HUGS}}
Caroline
Thank you for sharing - love you my friend
What a beauiful heart-wrenching post about your time with sweet Nathan. I cannot imagine how that must have been.
Love and Prayers...
Nate was a beautiful little guy. Thank you for sharing your story and helping others to know how to support grieving parents.
Hugs to you!
Post a Comment