We picked the kids up from school at noon, went to McDonalds for lunch (in memory of staying at The Ronald McDonald House), went to the party store and let everyone pick their own balloon, then headed off to Disneyland. Shayna's girl scout troop bought him a brick outside Disneyland when he died. After they did that, we decided that we would spend his birthday there every year. It worked well last year so we did it again. We prefer Disneyland over the cemetary and we know that he is always with us so the location isn't that important.
Here's us at his brick. Notice that we all wore BLUE to honor and remember him.
Everyone wrote a special note to Nathan and we tied them to our balloons:
We watched our special notes float off into the blue sky.
After an afternoon of rides at the park, we went to a special dinner at a resturant in Downtown Disney.
Dessert was their special "volcano" - yum!
We let the kids each have a "Mickey" balloon when we left. Normally, we go to Disneyland and don't spend a dime. We pack a lunch and bring our own snacks. So, it is a special treat for them to bring home a balloon. They've been talking about it since we let them do it last year. A wonderful tradition that we plan on continuing.
I finished the day relieved that it was done. Another hard event checked off my list.
Sadly, the next day I crashed. The weather was cold and rainy (no blue sky), I found out some disappointing news, and I couldn't help but think about all of the people that didn't remember his birthday. I sank back down into that yucky pit that I hate being in. At present I am trying to climb out. My devotion for this weekend was about tests, growth and perseverance. Today is titled "when distress reigns". I know that God knows that I am here and I know that He knew that I would be here before I did. I know that this devotion is for me and that He is with me. I have a feeling that I am going to experience a lot of spiritual growth this month.
Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. Psalm 55:17
10 comments:
I'm sorry about the down day following his birthday. What a beautiful birthday you gave Nate. It is a lovely tradition going to Disneyland and I love his stone. Take care & God Bless. I will pray for your comfort.
His stone is wonderful. I'm glad you are able to spend his birthday somewhere that isn't "sad". I'm sorry you had such a bad day following his birthday. I hope this month you continue to feel lifted in prayer and thought... we're all thinking about you and we love you! (Hugs)
I am so glad tht Nate's Birthday went so well. I think spending his day at Disneyland is a great idea. I just ordered our brick there too, can't wait for that get done.
Sorry you had a bad day after. Thinking of you and your family. God bless.
Wow, what a wonderful birthday. That is so neat what you all did. I love the brick. The notes and balloons.....darling. Nate would have loved all of that. I am so sorry he wasn't playing with the balloons with you, but he is now--he has them all in his hands I know it.
You really did a great job for your family, Trish. I know how much it hurts inside us mamas while we try so hard to make our family smile and then how much it hurts when they DO smile and all you can think is who is missing out on making those memories. It's a double edge sword. But you did awesome. You are so strong for your kids. I hope I can be like that. Your are something to look up to I tell you. Keep fighting, Trisha. You'll get back up on top, I know you will.
love,
christy
I'm so glad you have a special place to go to on Nate's birthday...what a wonderful tradition for your family. But I'm sorry you crashed the following day. Sometimes you get through what you need to, and then it catches up with you afterwards. Maybe you just needed that release...sometimes it can be cleansing to get it out. Hopefully your spirits will lift and the memories of your time with Nate can bring you some moments of joy. We are all with you as you get through these days. Krista
I am so glad Nate's birthday went well - what a wonderful way to honor and remember your sweet Nate!
I am so sorry that the next day was difficult. I completely agree with Krista - it is usually that you make it through what you "need to" and then it all comes down. I am praying for you and know that I am here if you want to talk dear.
Thinking and praying!
Love Ang
Glad that his birthday went well. Sorry about yesterday being rough. Sending you lots of hugs and positive thoughts!
You have such beautiful traditions to remember Nate! I love that the whole family is involved, and the kids get to remember and miss him too. So many people tell me to "leave my kids out of it," but I want them to remember too! Praying for you as you climb out...
WOW! I am amazed at the wonderful day you had for Nate, he knows just how loved he is by his family!!! What a fun day, and I love that you spent the day at Disneyland, at his stone, instead of the cemetery! I am proud that you made it a special day, and made the choice to embrace the day, instead of making it a "sad" day! Sorry that the next day was a not so good day, but I think that is to be expected.....but you made it through another hard day, and you are strong!!! Don't forget that!!!!
I'm so happy to hear that Nate's day went so well. I love all that you did and I enjoyed seeing the pictures of you all celebrating his day.
I'm sorry the next day was so lousy. :(
Post a Comment