skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Forgiving but not Forgetting
Forgiveness is something that I have really struggled with. Almost all of our friends and family completely deserted us at the worst time in our lives. At the time that we needed people the most. We were drowning out in the middle of the ocean and they didn't even throw us a life raft. They just let us go under. That is unforgivable. Truly unforgivable. But I've learned that forgiveness is not for them. It has nothing to do with making them feel better. Because honestly, that's the last thing that I want to do: make them feel better. Forgiveness is for us. It allows us to let go of that tumultuous feeling in our stomach that makes it feel like we are being stabbed just at the mention of their name or the site of their face. Forgiveness makes us feel better and allows us to go on and move forward. People that aren't able to forgive are the ones that are full of bitterness and harbor resentment. I don't want to be that type of person. I refuse to be.I started working on forgiveness almost a year ago. I realized that most of the people that I was allowing my stomach to churn over didn't have any idea what they did to me. They certainly weren't upset by any of it and weren't up in the middle of the night thinking about how much they hurt me. Perhaps they had a little guilt here and there but no real regret. I was the one that was suffering. And suffering I was. So, with the encouragement of my pastor, I began praying hard. Praying that God would take this burden. That He would deal with them so that I wouldn't have to. One of the first people that I worked on forgiving were some friends that we used to be very close with. She was there for me the first week and then we didn't hear from them for months. Many months. I didn't know how they could do that to us. I wanted to tell her how much it hurt. I wanted her to know how much pain she caused me. But that really didn't matter. I prayed that God would take the anger and frustration away. It took A LOT of praying but I did feel it lift. A few days later, we received an email from them with an apology. Evidently, they had read an email that I had sent to someone else explaining how we were all alone and all of our friends had physically walked away. How great was that? I gave it to God and He handled it. He let them know how they hurt us and I didn't have to. It really gave me a lot more confidence in furthering my forgiveness attempts. As I worked to move forward, I started looking at a lot of my friends with pity. Instead of being angry with them, I felt sorry for them. Sorry that they weren't able to be the type of friend that I wanted to be. Sorry that to me, their lives seemed so superficial. They were so busy chasing their tales around, that they didn't even notice that I was drowning. Or they were too busy to care. Nothing that I could ever say would change who they are. I was grateful that I wasn't that type of person. In the past I had always tried to run to someone that was hurting. But, especially now. This experience has changed me. So, I'm happy to say that I have forgiven all of them. I honestly don't feel that angst in my stomach anymore when I think of them. But, I will not ever forget how they treated me. I will not forget that they walked away when I needed them. I can't imagine ever being close friends again, but you never know. With God, all things are possible. Family has been harder. With friends, I could forgive and move on to new friends. I don't need to interact with them anymore. But family is different. Family will always be family. We haven't even seen most of our extended family since the funeral. They all live within 30 minutes of us but there have been very, very few attempts to get together. We needed them to "be" with us on a weekly (and sometimes daily) basis. I can count the number of attempts to reach out on two hands. That was just not enough. Not even close.It's also harder to forgive them because unlike most of our friends, we told them directly how much we needed them. We asked them in person to come over and spend time with us. We told them how much their absence hurt us. Each time, they would apologize but nothing changed. Currently, I have absolutely no desire to ever see them again. I know that this is completely unreasonable and I need to figure out a way to get along. This is such a work in progress and I'm admittedly not there yet. However, I do see myself moving along in a positive way. This week we received an email from a family member. They expressed a desire for us to be closer and they weren't satisfied with our current relationship. They asked us if they had done something wrong or failed to do something. I couldn't believe it. They didn't even have a clue how they hurt us so badly. How is that possible? If I would have received this email a few months back, I would have broken down in hysterics at the mere thought that they didn't even know what they did (or didn't do). This is how I can measure my progress. When I received it last week, I thought "crap", I don't want to deal with this right now. Instead of it hurting me and sending me down into the abyss, it was a nuisance. Just a nuisance. I have absolutely no desire to have any more "discussions" with them. We've been down that road and nothing has changed. I've finally moved forward. I believe that God sent me this email to show me just how much progress I've made. I am no longer living in the past and letting the past define who I am. I am in control (well, as much as God allows me to be) of who I am and where I'm going. I'm still going toward the blue sky. I have absolutely no desire to turn around and go back into the middle of the ocean. That is not who I am anymore.All that being said, my walls are up. They are up high. Probably too high. I will not ever forget how people treated us. I doubt that I will ever really trust any of them again. If there comes a time that someone re-engages, offers an apology...a real apology... and requests to get together, I will consider it. If it's a good day and I have nothing else going on, I might accept. If it's a bad day, I will feel no guilt in declining. I will also work toward a better relationship with family. I want to re-adjust my expectations to be so that I can see them on Holidays and special events, have interesting (but not deep) conversations and walk away without any angst. I'm not there yet...but I'm trying.
12 comments:
Trisha, this is good news about your growth but also so very sad.
How could all of these friends and family do this to you? I know that family sometimes, for whatever reason, will have trouble dealing with things like this. Friends usually are pretty good at helping out.
So do you still have some family and friends that you do see on a regulas basis? What can we do to help you? I will pray for sure.
girl..it's like reading my own words! I know i can say that, but i wish i could rip out my heart and hand it to you so that you would know i REALLY mean it! :) is that morbid? yes..but that's just HOW MUCH i mean it...
anyways...like we have shared (and thankfully so) that it's such a catch to read this because it DOES offer me consolation that it didn't just happen to me..that some other mommy's heart gets exactly where i'm at, esp. on such a hard topic..even strangers can't understand how i wouldn't want certain family around anymore after such hurt. But..it's also so sad that someone else had to go thru it to get me. and vice versa.
But i also believe such good can come out of our sorrow..as we offer better friendships to the one's that come after our loss...and the family of our futures...our daughter in laws..and son in laws...maybe their lives will be better because of our loss. I think about this a lot!
One of the lessons i've learned recently about forgiveness is that just because we forgive someone (or lots of someone's) doesn't mean we HAVE to bring them back into our lives. It doesn't mean we have to get the relationship back at all! What a RELIEF!!! I had this "christian pressure" built up of...forgiveness meaning they are back in our lives and we go on living WITH them..but we don't have to! phew!!! Esp. if the relationship is toxic and really really bad for us and our children.
You continue to remind me how not alone i am. I hope you find some comfort in the fact that all of this..is not for nothing. God makes all things new! And there is purpose in our suffering.
still swimming with you. I brought my floaties. :)
Hi Trisha,
My friend Angie from support group shared your site with me, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Fourteen months ago, we also lost our newborn son to a heart complication as well. You are very insightful, and I think it's wonderful that you are reaching out to share your experiences and to give helpful hints. One of the oddities with grief is how isolating it is. I think people aren't sure what to do, so sadly they often do nothing. So not only do you lose your child, but you lose some relationships too...either that or they significantly change. Maybe people think that we will come to them if we need someone to talk to. I found that with my grief I haven't been able to initiate talking about the loss with too many people. And I like to talk about my son, it's just it's such a heavy topic that you feel the other person has to be up for that tone of conversation. I haven't initiated much with making plans either...I usually let other people do that and then I respond. This isn't the old me at all. Hopefully, you've had a handful of people who have been there for you in your grief. It's a long road. I'm thinking about setting up a blog, but I haven't done so yet. If you'd like to e-mail, my address is skmaanderson@msn.com
Take care, Krista
Trisha,
I'm so sorry that so many of your family and friends hurt you. I can definitely see how far you have come in forgiving them and moving on. I can understand not being able to have them back in your lives. Perhaps some day some of them may be able to part of your life again but only time will tell. And I'm sure God will show you if someone should be.
For people that don't go through this trial in life they don't understand the grief. They don't understand how much you really need them. And sad to say but some people prolly just don't care.
Hi Trisha,
I feel exactly the way you do when it comes to feeling abandon by family and friends.
I am some what of a social butterfly, or at least I used to be before my daughter died. I used to pride myself in having lots of different friends. Of course, when everything is good in your life, everyone wants to be your friend. When things are bad in your life, that's when you know who your true friends are. Unfortunately for me, I really don't have as many as I thought I would have.
I feel angry, especially since when they experienced tragedies, I was there for them. Now here I am in my darkest hour and they can't even put up the phone.
I want to send them the link to your blog to make them feel guilty, but at the same time, part of me doesn't want anything to do with them.
Your blog has been very helpful for me. I hope to continue to learn from you how to heal.
Sincerely,
Bea
I love reading your blog, and feel like I can relate. I am so sorry you have felt alone, and I pray I am not left in the same situation you are....I can't do this alone, I need people around me, helping me as well. Your blog is an inspiration, I love reading it, and keep you in my prayers.
I can so relate to your words. We have lost two children ourselves and have never felt more deserted by family. I have been the same way you have...it is easier to forgive friends, but family...family is supposed to be there. Thank you for sharing and for being authentic. I have been blessed by your blog this evening, my son's Heaven day. Love and prayers!
what a wonderful blog...I just added it to my sidebar...Just blog hopping tonight and found yours. I have enjoyed reading it..
Wonderfully said Trisha. I am so glad that you were able to write this - I have been praying for the words to come!
Thanks again for your support, encouragement, and especially the prayers. All are greatly appreciated!!
hi trisha,
i've stumbled upon your blog though i don't believe it was by accident. i wish i'd had your words of wisdom this time last year. last july, i was in the middle of preparing a shower for my best college friend/roommate's little boy. on july 29, just 3 days after her beautiful shower, she learned that her 36 week old baby had already gone to heaven. i was stunned. i missed her delivery that afternoon and regret that i didnt get to hold her sweet little boy. i was there the next day though i felt like i wasn't doing anything "right". it didn't seem fair that i had my own tiny babe with me when she had to tell hers goodbye unexpectedly. we just cried--sobbed, really-- through the next 4 days through the funeral. it was so hard to be 3 hours away from her. i so wanted to look into her eyes daily so see how she was REALLY doing b/c it's easy to hide your feelings on the phone.
thank you so much for your advice. i know that they are words that will help me continue to be a friend to her.
several friends and family are writing letters to them describing how their son impacted our lives. we plan to give them the letters in a book on his birthday next week. i know how important it is to them that we as friends and family remember him, and i hope that this gift is something special on that day.
thanks so much,
jac jack72002@hotmail.com
Oh my gosh. I have many times sat and cried and throught to myself "what is WRONG with our family?" !! There is still one brother that has NEVER acknowledged that i was ever pregnant or that Isaac was born FULL term and DIED!
What is your email. I wanted to resond to your comment on my blog, but in a more provate fashion.
I'm abnmln@gmail.com
Thank you for your comment Trisha - it is so true - God gave me all of those things and more. I am very grateful for that. Thanks for your continous support and prayers - it means so much! I hope you are doing well - thinking and praying for you as well! Thanks again - hope to talk to you soon!
Angie
Post a Comment