Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Reconnecting

I didn't know what to do when people walked away from us after Nathan died. I was numb. I was weak. I didn't understand why. I thought that it was because I was an awful person. Because I didn't deserve to have friends. Because no one cared that my son died.

I later realized that these feelings were not from God. God did not make everyone leave. He did not abandon me. He was there the entire time though it was sometimes hard to see. He gave me the book of Job in the bible. That spoke to me like nothing else. It showed me that I was not a horrible person that deserved this. Even Jobs friends condemned him and walked away emotionally. It happened back then and it happens today. People fail.

So I was able to move on. It took a lot of strength to overcome such immense rejection. It took a lot of time but I made new friends. Some were complete strangers a year ago and some were just acquaintances. I finally feel like I am being supported and cared for. I finally feel loved.

I have always wondered what I would say if those old friends tried to reconnect. What would I do if I saw them? Would I tell them "it's okay, don't worry about it"? Would I ask them "why haven't I heard from you in a year" or "why didn't you come to my son's funeral"? Would I break down and cry? Would I run away and hide?

It was this fear of reconnecting that paralyzed me the first year. I was scared to go to church. I was scared to attend family events. I was scared to go anywhere in our little community. I was scared to step out of my house because I might have to interact with someone that let me down in such an enormous way. I did go out but I had major anxiety every single time.

I don't have the same anxiety anymore. It occasionally comes but it's nothing like before. For the most part, I can leave my house and live my life without fear. But, "it's" starting to happen. People are starting to try and reconnect. Perhaps it's because they think I'm better now. Perhaps it's because they feel guilty. Perhaps it's because they miss me.

I don't know why but I do know that I'm the one that is put in the uncomfortable position of responding. I do have the power of deciding if or when I want to reconnect. But with that power comes a lot of anxiety. Do I really want to let a 20 year friendship go? But then, what type of friendship is it if they don't even come to my son's funeral? If I do let it go, should I tell her why? If I let her back in should I tell her how much she hurt me?

For the most part, I've decided to let most of my old relationships go. I recently heard a friend talking about something that she read. It was about how God gives us friends for the seasons in our lives. Because the seasons change, sometimes the friends do too. I think that is what happened to me. My season changed. My life is different. I am different. It only makes sense that my friendships would be too.

Family is a different story...still working on that one.

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

It is your choice on whether you want to let friends back in. Please remember that it is also your choice if you want to let family back in. If this is the first time they have done something like this, that is one thing. If not, then you can be civil to them at family gatherings, but you don't have to have a close relationship with them. I finally figured that out with my father. I made a choice of my sanity or having him around. Good luck. No matter what choice you make about friends or family, it isn't easy.

Cheryl

Emmy said...

I've held on to your "Forgiving but not Forgetting" post in my reader, wanting to really sit down and look at it, and pray about it. It looks like you've already got some of your answers. :)

We're going through some of the same things. I've had a close friend's betrayal. I heard through the grapevine that my mom's talking smack about me to perfect strangers *at my closest friend's wedding*. The lesson I take away from this is that people are insensitive. And thoughtless.

I still love you, though!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I just spent an hour reading your entire blog and was so touched by your story. You have a beautiful family....

Jennifer said...

I completely agree with your last paragraph. I think that is so true and probably happens way more often than we realize, it just hurts so much more when it's a friend that we've had for so long that we thought would always be there. I know the feeling, and I'm so sorry you had to experience it to the degree that you have.

I've had this thought nagging at the back of my head for a while and I'm going to attempt to put it into words, which is something that I'm no good at at all, so bear with me.

I would like to encourage you to consider giving some of those friends a second chance. At least after taking the time to have those difficult conversations with them to find out what exactly it was that happened. Why did they walk away? Why didn't they come to Nathan's funeral? Why weren't they there for you? I'm just wondering if maybe, just maybe, some of them had some of their own crap going on that kept them from being able to be there for you they way you needed them to be. Very possibly not, but you never know.

I'm just saying this based on what we've gone through the last two years, which I know is nothing like what you've been through, but it's been alot for us. More than I've even shared with you. I've been treading water for quite awhile and while I would have absolutely loved to have thrown several friends life rafts during this time, my own head was barely above water most days. I'm so thankful that each of those friends, including you, gave me grace, even though we were not able to be there for each other when we needed it most.

I really hope this makes sense. It's just a thought that I had that I wanted to share. Probably way too long to leave in the comments section though. Maybe I should just send you an email next time. :)

Angie said...

I just finished posting tonight...I have a feeling we were on the same wavelength :) As always you write what I am trying to say - but yours flows soooo much better!

That last paragraph - perfect! I might steal that from you - it is so true!

Hope you are doing well, thinking of you and continuing to pray...

Holly said...

It's up to you whether you want these people back in your life. If reconnecting with them will only bring you bad memories and pain then don't do it. It's not worth it. If you think the friendship is worth saving then give it a try. I wish you the best! Again, I'm so sorry that so many people you love have hurt you.

pinksarahh said...

You are so honest and true in your postings. I can feel your heartache and your yearning for some kind of rhyme to the reason. Hang in there, you have people praying for you!

MommyIvy said...

I know it is hard to let a friendship go. I am going through the same thing. Sometimes you just have to realize what you said in the last paragraph. They are only here for a season. Good Luck to you!

Veronica said...

Trisha...I'm sorry that so many people that used to be your friends failed you. It is definitely up to you about if you want to give these people a second chance, but I at least think it would be a good thing just to sit down with some of the people that are trying to reconnect with you and have an open and honest discussion. You have the right to voice how you were hurt by what they did and they have the right to explain to you why they did what they did.

Not to make excuses for other people, but I think those who have never gone through the kind of pain that you have almost don't know what the right thing to do is. Sometimes they just decide to take the easier route for them and forget just how much it's not about them!

I will be praying that you'll be able to figure out what decision you should make.

P.S. I just want to say thanks for your comments lately. You have been a blessing to me and I feel honored that you read my blog. I'm really nobody special, just someone who wants to be real, have God in my life, and be a good friend to others.

I also wanted to mention one more thing. Have you considered adding your email address into the settings part of your blog? I receive all my comments straight to my email account so sometimes when I read people's comments and want to reply back to them, instead of writing back in the other person's comments section, I just hit reply on the email and I can email them directly. Just a thought!

Also...(sorry for writing a book), it's so neat to be able to meet another Californian. I live really close to San Luis Obispo, as you mentioned the other day. I'm in Santa Maria, and just about 40 minutes south of SLO. You live in a beautiful area as well!!!