Wednesday, October 28, 2009

finding JOY - Day 3


Footprints
I wasn't raised in a Christian family.  I found God by watching Little House on the Prairie as a child.  When I was a teenager, I used my own money to buy a picture with the Footprints prayer on it.  I hung it on my bathroom wall and read it everyday. 


Footprints in the Sand



One night I had a dream...

I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord, and

Across the sky flashed scenes from my life.

For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand;

One belonged to me, and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of my life flashed before us,

I looked back at the footprints in the sand.

I noticed that many times along the path of my life,

There was only one set of footprints.

I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life

This really bothered me, and I questioned the Lord about it.

"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,

You would walk with me all the way;

But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life,

There is only one set of footprints.

I don't understand why in times when I

needed you the most, you should leave me.


The Lord replied, "My precious, precious

child. I love you, and I would never,

never leave you during your times of

trial and suffering.

When you saw only one set of footprints,

It was then that I carried you."

Footprints have always had an impact on my life.  I had a "family set" on my Suburban before Nate but for the last year and a half I have felt like a fraud.  I've been driving around without his prints included.  He is part of our family and he does count.  I needed to get his footprints on there but didn't know how to represent him.   So, a few weeks ago, a dear blogging friend, Jodi made a custom set for me.  This time, Nate was included. I feel so much better now.  Thank you so much Jodi!!!

Sometimes, I wonder what people think when they are stopped behind me at a red light.  I wonder if they feel sorry for me or if they think that I'm on prozac (not that there's anything wrong with that).  But I'm trying not to care.  This is my life.  I'm proud of all of my children and I love them all the same. 

Today, I am living the Footprints prayer that I have treasured for more than half of my life.  Today I am letting God carry me.  He knows what the footprints mean to me.   He knows when I need to be carried.  He knows that I need Him.  I am surrendering.

12 comments:

Sara x said...

Those footprints are truely wonderful x Im having a bad day but this has made me smile of our angels x

Claire said...

The footprints are wonderful - and if I was the car in back of yours I would be praying for you because I would see that little halo and know. You are loved and in the poignancy of your story there is still joy.

Jodi Lansink said...

You are so welcome! I am glad you put it on, and I often wonder the same thing, what people are thinking about when they are sitting behind me in traffic----but I am just glad you finally have Nate added! So glad to hear you are doing well! :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You can't care about what they think. If they lived in your shoes for a moment they would understand. I always see dedications on windows and I say a prayer. Just think about it that way, that they are saying a prayer for you. I love your sticker on the car. I love the footprints saying, always have. I know that God carries me through the hard times.

christina said...

i think those feet are awesome and i want to steal that idea so i can let the world know that i'm a mom of 3 right now! I often wonder what others feel when they first hear about Cana, etc. Then i am just so excited that i got to say her name out loud that the fear of making that other person uncomfortable is lost in my joy. I also have realized that the risk of finding just one person who lets me connect to my daughter by sharing about her is kinda worth it..but that's just where i am in the journey TODAY. Who knows..tomorrow could be different. loveu.

margaret said...

I love those feet and I would proudly drive around with them on my vehicle. If I was behind you and saw them, I would know too right away what happened and it would bring tears to my eyes. Sending you hugs

Holly said...

I love the little feet!! Jodi did a great job! Footprints is an absolutely wonderful poem and I love the message of it.

Michelle said...

I love your family's footprints on your vehicle! I am so glad you were able to add Nate's. Try not to worry what others think. You are a proud mother of ALL of your children, and you should not have to apologize for that. Take care.

Karman said...

Just wanted to let you know when I come upon a vehicle that has something similar I like to say a quick prayer for the family. Another great way for strangers to continue to lift you up in prayer.

Emmy said...

I love the footprints! How cute!

Celia said...

I love that poem. I have clung to it in the months since Noah died. I know my God is here holding me closely, even when I don't always feel it, even though sometimes he feels so very far away.

And I LOVE the footprints! Jodi told me about them as we are now in the process of contemplating what we will do in memory of Noah. We are trying to decide what to put on the back of our van at this moment. I like the footprints....they are so cute!

And as to what other people think....well, that is why I WANT to add something for Noah. I want them to see it and know that my heart is broken for my little boy....but that he is still VERY MUCH a part of our family.

Sending you much love and hugs....

Stefanie said...

I've always thought those feet were sweet and now they are even sweeter! Who cares what the guy (or gal) behind you thinks.