Letting Go
A week ago, during a visit with our Pastor, my husband and I had an "ah ha" moment. We have been working hard to forgive his family for their EXTREMELY poor behavior after Nate's death. We didn't understand how this "close, Christian family" could behave like they did. We didn't expect that and didn't know how to deal with it. I have been angry, resentful and crushed this past year believing that we must be horrible people to have been treated so awful.
But, during our "ah ha" moment, we both realized that their behavior had nothing to do with us. Our pastor explained family dynamics to us and how in particular the dynamics were working in his family. My in-laws have always prided themselves with their claim on being a "close, Christian family". My husbands grandparents met in church, his parents met in church and so on. In the previous generations, everyone went to church together, celebrated together and spent endless hours together on the weekends. I never really bought into the "close Christian family" claim because it seemed superficial which is probably why I was disliked. But, I made a strong attempt to foster the closeness by hosting almost all of the holiday's, planning birthday celebrations, baby showers, get togethers and so on. I put in a lot of work and really tried to give my kids the support of an extended family that I never had.
But as our pastor helped us understand, they aren't really close. There's an ascribed value that they are. That's the title that they've assigned to themselves so that's their belief. But, there haven't been any divorces or tragedy's. There has never been a reason to test that belief until Nate died. And when they were tested...they failed with a capital F. Because they all believe that they are a "close Christian family" they have discarded any claim or circumstance that suggests otherwise. A "close Christian family" supports each other during a tragedy. They don't abandon them and then accuse them of it being their fault. But they don't want to see that because it contradicts their belief. So, they filter it out and look for things that reinforce their belief that they are a "close Christian family".
That's where I couldn't make sense of it. I was letting their abandonment and hurtful words crush me. I knew that I needed to forgive them so that I could move on. But I just didn't know how to forgive them. Now, I think that I am finally there. I feel like the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders this past week. It wasn't about me. It wasn't about our son. It was about them. They could only deal with happy events and celebrations. They didn't want to go to the "hard" place.
Currently, we are receiving a lot of pressure to re-connect. So far, we've ignored it but with the holidays approaching, I've had anxiety. Our pastor once again explained the dynamic to us. The reason that there is such intense pressure on us once again has to do with them. Because we are absent from family events, they can't claim that they are a "close Christian family". This is stirring the pot and they don't know how to deal with it. They desperately want us to return so that they can reclaim their title.
Now, I feel empowered to put my family first. I'm not going to allow myself to feel guilty about them. I'm finally feeling free. It's good. I can't tell you how good it feels.
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #676
4 days ago
10 comments:
That makes so much sense but I never would have thought of it like that had you not posted your experience.
Makes sense to me too!!
Almost sounds familiar....
Makes so much sense it looks easy. Of course. I am so glad this week has gone the way it has for you. I want to thank you for the wonderful comment you left for me and tell you that you had a huge impact on me being able to write that post and have the views that I have. I am really concentrating on joys versus happiness--I want both of course, but what is really important...
Thank you for your help. I really have felt connected to you even though I don't know you. I look forward to your posts and hope to continue this closeness we have. I wish we could get together over coffee--there's so much more to talk about. I think of you often. And will be sending positive thoughts to you this weekend for a virtually painless halloween.
hugs,
Christy
That makes a lot of sense! I can see this in people around me!
Wow, that is powerful. I am so happy for you.
That is so wonderful to read, it is so easy to believe that we are the one at fault as we cant believe it of others. I am struggling down the same path of forgiveness, it isnt easy but it does give you a certain sense of freedom. As for reconnecting that is a decsion you have to make, will the family be open to talking about Nate as this is so important to me to talk about Livvy as she is a big part of our lives.
Wow, Trisha. The thought of their perfect, close Christian family would've never crossed my mind. Your pastor sure has a lot of insight! It's sad that they feel the need to keep up pretenses just to try and look good in front of everyone else. I hope that some day they realize what they are doing.
I am so happy you don't feel the weight of this anymore. (((hugs)))
I'm glad you feel better about this. I think your pastor is very insightful. They don't want to go anywhere that might be difficult or messy. I get that. My family is much the same. The holiday season this year will be a struggle for sure (for me). My husband doesn't understand why I don't want to go this year. He thinks I'm being unreasonable. But I don't hold "family obligation" above my own heart and how tender it still feels over losing Noah.
Thank you for sharing the struggles with family. I find some of the deepest pain has been caused by family and I struggle to let it go. I'm glad you felt that weight was lifted- it can be such a heavy burden!
Hi, I just found your blog. Wanted to let you know that I have come to some of the same conclusions about (extended) family. I don't know if it's come with getting older or just experience but I've realized that my "tiny" family is the one that is really important and I should make decisions based on what is best for us first.
Post a Comment