Monday, October 12, 2009

from my daughter



My 11 year old daughter, Shayna wrote a beautiful essay that I wanted to share.  She was given the assignment "beauty is..." and she decided to write about her brother.  She wrote of her memories and even went to his website to copy some of her favorite photos (the ones she has framed in her room).  This assignment brought about a lot of tears and I had the opportunity to have some really good and healing conversations with her.  She finished it last night and with an equal amount of pride and fear in her eyes, asked me to read it.  She was so proud of her work and yet scared that it would make Mommy cry.  She hates to see me cry.  I managed to hold myself together and tell her what an amazing job she did.  I am one lucky mommy.  See for yourself:





Beauty Is….
In my eyes, beauty is my baby brother who passed away almost a year and a half ago because he was an angel on Earth. On March 5, 2008 Nathan Ryan Larson was born in CHLA (Children’s Hospital Los Angeles). Sadly, he was born with a heart problem. He was missing a lot of parts in his heart area. Good news came when they discovered that he had a lot of those parts but they were extremely small. As soon as he came out, the doctors put him on a breathing tube and an oxygen tube that went into his nostrils and a bunch of other tubes and IV’s. Four days after Nathan was born, they operated on him. When he came out, he had a scar across his stomach (My mom said that it would get smaller as he grew bigger). When I came to visit to him, he always had a ton of tubes and IVs in him. I hated to see him suffer and all I wanted was to have him get better and come home. Miserably, he never made it to that point in his short life.

Things were starting to look up when the doctors took off the breathing tube, but it turned out he needed it so they put it back on. He had a couple of good days so they tried again to take off his breathing tube. It was off for a day and then put back on again couple days later, they tried one more time and it was never put back on, and the best part was that I got to watch them take it off. Nathan had a good week and they decided to transport him to CHOC. This would be more convenient for us because then we wouldn’t have to drive very far. CHOC was a lot cleaner and it didn’t look much like a hospital. The only thing bad was that the doctors were not as good and CHLA’s were trained better. Nathan was transported in a helicopter with my dad. When he got there he had a week that was all uphill. One day, I was with my mom and the nurse let us give him a “bath”. This was really a rubdown with a cloth and warm water. He was screaming the whole time. After his “bath”, I got to sit down and hold him. This was my third time. As soon as he was in my arms, Nathan stopped screaming and looked up at me with such admiration, I had to giggle a little bit. Two days later, my mom brought an outfit and asked the doctors if she could put it on him. By this time, almost all of his tubes and IV’s were gone, and he was so close to looking like a normal baby. Nathan wore that outfit all day and my mom got plenty of pictures of him and I’m sure glad she did. I got to hold him one last time that day and he looked up at me and looked like he wanted to say something to me, his oldest sister. I held his hand and he wrapped his fingers around my finger and made some noises. I’m pretty sure that they were meant to say, “I love you”. Beauty all around.

The next day was kind of a blur to me, but I’ll do my best to tell you what happened. My mom was going to try to breast feed him and the next thing I knew, my dad was paged to come immediately to her side. He pulled me aside and took my hands and prayed with me. Suddenly, everyone who was close to us like friends and family came to stay with my siblings and I, who had no idea what was happening. It was the longest two hours in my life and I still cry when I think about that day. Finally, we met them in the hall and they broke the news: Nathan Ryan Larson, my baby brother, only 25 days old died. Even though he had all those tubes and he was on lots of medications, he is still my brother and the most beautiful thing that had ever graced this planet. To many people, a sick baby with tubes, IV’s and scars all over him may not be beautiful on the outside, but if I learned anything from Nathan, it’s that you shouldn’t judge people by what they look like, but what matters on the inside. He is now an angel in heaven where he is wanted most by ones who love him more than you can ever imagine. Beauty was always surrounding him and you would take one look at him and know that love was all that mattered in this world.














15 comments:

Jodi Lansink said...

You should be very proud----that is beautiful! Brought tears to my eyes...

Emmy said...

I see someone with a future in journalism.... :)

And yes, Nathan IS beauty. You've got that 1000% right.

Trisha, you must be about busting with pride!

Amy said...

A sad story, beautifully written. What a wonderful Sister Nathan has

xxxxx

The Writer Chic said...

T, you must be so heartbreakingly proud. Praying for you always.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

She did a wonderful job. Oh how she loves her brother. How sad that an 11 year old had to feel so much saddness in her young heart. I pray for her comfort and the comfort of the whole family. Thank you for sharing this.
Shayna you brother knows how much you love him and I am sure he is very proud of his sister.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a beautiful post....

Jennifer said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing that.

Charlotte Ann said...

What a beautiful passage that she wrote. It brought tears to my eyes and you can tell how much she truly loves her little brother. Bless you!

Claire said...

Thank you - my prayers continue for you and your family.

margaret said...

Trisha that was lovely. What a sensitive and loving girl Shayna must be to write such a moving essay about her brother. I'm incredibly touched by the grace your daughter has at such a young age. Your children are very special, all of them and an example of love that Shayna showed for Nathan is a mirror of the love they receive from their parents. You must be very proud. Sending you hugs

Holly said...

She did a wonderful job. The essay is so beautifully written. A+++

Christmas with Kasey said...

What a sweet daughter and sister! Beautiful!

christina said...

i adore this post! I am in awe at her words, and wisdom and oh to have to understand that kind of hurt and hole in her heart so early in life...but oh the compassion that will ooze out of her! so great to see the beauty in the suffering. Proud of her..proud of you for mommying her in this. I know it's hard. i know.

still with ya.

Christy said...

Oh Trisha--readingthat sent me into a long, hard cry that I have needed but just hadn't sat down long enough to have. Your daughter is beauty itself. It hit very close to home and I am so glad that she had the time with her brother and got to give him his bath with you. That is priceless. And then got to hold him after that. Clearly, each time she held him was an event she will never forget in her life. My daughter is just 9 but sounds similar to Shayna. What our little girls went through to lose their brothers is something that we both wish never happen, but somehow has made them who they are today. Thank you so much for sharing that essay and thank you to Shayna for writing it. What a precious daughter you have.
xxxooo

Adrienne said...

I found your blog through pooh's corner. I read the emails from when you found out you were pregnant until your sweet boy passed away. All I can say is how deeply sorry I am and what you went through is almost too hard to comprehend.

My little boy is 4 months old and he has Down syndrome and had open heart surgery at 11 weeks. His surgery went well but your story made me realize that it doesn't always go well.

You have a beautiful family and in a very small way I know what you mean about people not supporting you when you need it most. People just don't know how to act or what to do sometimes-it was a little like this when we found out at 18 weeks our son had DS. Anyways, by no means am I trying to compare my story to yours but I wanted you to know I admire your strength and thank you for sharing your story.