Thursday, October 1, 2009

October

I've been trying to get some photos up from the birthday parties but life has just been so busy.  I should be doing that right now.  But, I felt a strong need to write this post instead.

October is here.  It's always been my least favorite month of the year.  It's dark when we have to get up for school which makes climbing out of bed very difficult.  It's dark after dinner so we can't play outside anymore.  There's a chill in the air and that doesn't work well for a tank top and flip flops type of girl like me (although that's what I'm wearing today).  Sickness starts spreading around like crazy.  The blue skies diminish and are replaced by gray, cloudy skies.  And...all of the yucky Halloween decorations come out of the boxes and are prominently displayed in front of our neighbors houses.

I've always struggled with Halloween.  I know that it's Satan's holiday and not Gods.  But, I thought that it would be okay if I just dressed my kids in fun costumes that allowed  them to pretend to be someone else.  I thought that it was okay as long as I didn't dress my kids like a witch or a devil or any other evil creature.  But that strategy doesn't work in my neighborhood.

Last year, October was miserable.  I didn't want to leave my house.  I was constantly faced with skeletons, grave markers, coffins and evil creatures hanging from the tree branches.  It really tormented me.  Today, I find myself feeling the same way.  As I drove my kids to school, I saw numerous grave stones around our neighborhood.  All I could think of was that my son is lying in the ground and I still haven't picked out his stone.  And then I saw the skeletons hanging on the front porches.  All I could think of was what Nate's sweet little body looks like now.  And then I saw a  coffin on someones porch.  All I could think was that my son will never come out of his coffin (his body that is).  I don't know how people can consider these "decorations".  I don't understand why this is a good thing.  It's going to be a long month.

12 comments:

Misty said...

I'm sorry, sweet friend. So, so sorry.

Veronica said...

I love fall but hate Halloween too. Everything about it creeps me out too.

I'm so sorry that you've been feeling down. I'll be praying for you my friend.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I feel so sorry for you. Your thoughts are so sad but I am sure I would feel the same way.
I will put a pumkin out on Halloween evening but I don't decorate much. I like to think of it as a fun candy day for the kids. Please know that I care. ((HUGS))

christina said...

i used to love october because of the change of season. Even tho i was raised in miami and am a beach girl, there is a huge difference from miami august and texas august.
Now october holds different emotions in my heart. In a week, we will celebrate Cana's 1st birthday. AND a week from tomorrow, we will celebrate her first year in Heaven. I celebrate both equally in my heart because if i am to talk the talk of believing in resurrection because of our savior, then i am asking God for the strength to walk the walk of that proclaimed faith.
I plan to post this in a blog after next week, because her story for us doesn't end in her death. But .....when we were picking out the plot in what the cemetary so strangely calls "baby land" (more on THAT later!), it was oct. 11th. And all the graves were of babies lost. So the parents (and remember we are in texas so culturally..lots of mexican culture here) decided it made sense to put up decoration tombstones ON THEIR BABY'S headstone!?!!! It was this moment of deep realization that our daughters body would be in this spot in the ground, and then we both kind of stopped, looked around, and as hard as we could, we tried not to laugh. I know this was a gift in this moment because of the unfathomable nature of what we were about to be asked to do..bury our daughter. But OMG....we could NOT stop laughing. Shaking our heads, but laughing still.
I want to encourage your heart in seeing those reminders..and pray that they will one day remind you that you lived out a purpose and there is glory in that sacrifice. I don't want to "fix" your pain (as so many are trying to do in my life right now..as we approach our first big big anniversary). But just to let you know..you are valid in your hurt. God is proud of your sacrifice. And the grace to see God in so many little things is His gift to you. Praying you see more and more of Him even in the odd decorations and strange practices of this world. Thank God this is just a rest stop on the way to eternity!
Praying for you.

Christy said...

Trish--I have to say that I look at the gravestone decorations for Halloween completely different now, too. I have never had a problem with Halloween but I can completely see where you are coming from. Just as there are reminders, triggers, some relation to our tragedy everywhere, Halloween's stupid headstones are one of them and I hate it. I hate that this life will never be free of these things. Thinking of you...

Danielle said...

We don't celebrate halloween either... and now since Wyatt's death, it seems to just be cruel. Why would we as a society be okay with "decorating" and celebrating with death, when we can't even acknowledge life when it's here? OR worse, when they can't even acknowledge a baby who was here and lived? It doesn't make a lick of sense.

Claire said...

I stopped doing Halloween when my daughters were in grade school - I would keep them out of school on Halloween and we would go out to lunch together and I would buy them each a bag of their favorite candy. We would have a wonderful day just being together. I really don't like all the decorations and costumes - the evilness was out of control on Long Island when I lived there.

Tina said...

Try to find the beauty my friend.

There are beautiful colors in the fall, more time inside means you have more time to cozy up with your kids and read stories together.

Maybe you could bundle up the kids and take a trip over to the pumpkin patch and have a great time letting them pick some out.

I am here for you Trisha. To hold your hand....and help you through this heartbreaking time.

Love,
Christina

Mary said...

I used to love this time of year. The fall colors. The crisp in the air would give me a reason to bundle up in my warm sweaters and boots. I always had mixed feelings about Halloween. I loved the little kids in their costumes. But I always wanted a child of my own to dress up. And now that I have had Lukas. I still don't have anyone to dress.

I hope the month gets better.

Holly said...

I definitely don't like that it gets colder b/c that means winter is around the corner. Cold and me don't agree very well.

Celia said...

I love this time of year for the change of season that it brings. I used to love halloween because it gave me a chance (as a kid) to dress up and be different. I have always enjoyed letting my children dress up and have their fun.

This year I find no joy or even excitment in the upcoming "holiday". I know my children are excited about it but all I can think about is that it celebrates death and destruction - two things I'm definitely not keen on now.

I know we will pull through. I will let my kids go trick-or-treating, we will hand out our obligatory candy.....but now....well, it will just be different.

I hope that you find some comfort and peace in this time. Try not to dwell on the "yucky decorations".....

Emmy said...

I was just raging at God the other night about how unfair it is that *my life will never be the same carefree life I had before Leila*. And your thoughts on Halloween decorations is just another one of those changes we're expected to weather. How many other landmines are we to walk through? What's next that we have to look forward to?

I hate October. I'm officially cancelling it next year. Who knows, maybe by next October we'll be "better".