Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bitter or Better

This morning at church the topic was "Transformation Through Pain". I sat back and thought hmmm...this should be interesting. Our pastor talked about how everyone has pain in their lives (though he hasn't lost a child and probably doesn't truly understand what a different pain that is). He talked about how God uses that pain to transform us. It's our choice whether we decide to be transformed into a BITTER person or a BETTER person.

Acts 14:22 "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God." This stinks but it is true. Our life on Earth was never promised to be easy. We will face challenges and adversities. We will cry and we will grieve. Sadly, some more than others. Sadly, my hardship was my worst nightmare. The one thing in life that I hoped and prayed would never happen to me -- I had to bury my child. What other hardship could possibly be worse than that... except to have to do it more than once.


There were so many verses that just jumped out at me today. So many that I have embraced and so many more that I have struggled with. The message talked about how it's okay to wrestle with God when your life is turned upside down. When I thought about that I realized that wrestling really is the best way for your relationship to get stronger. That's what athletes do. They physically push themselves beyond what they think that they can handle. Their coaches know that their bodies are stronger than they think so they challenge them with pain, sweat and tears until their bodies are able to perform at their highest capabilities. I know that this is what God is doing to me. I know that God will always be stronger than me. I know that I can never "beat" Him. But, I also know that by wrestling with Him, I will gain strength and endurance. Most of all, I will gain compassion for I KNOW how much work and how much pain the process was.

2Cor 1:3-5
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

I am choosing to come out of this process a BETTER person and not a BITTER person. I am choosing to use my experience to help others walk this horrific path. I am choosing to grow closer to God. I am choosing to teach my kids that you have to RUN TO someone that is hurting and NOT FROM them (this is currently being practiced with my daughter's friend, Katie). I am choosing to be happy with the blessings that I have and not to be consumed with what I have lost.

*** As a side note, I just want to clarify something about my post yesterday in regards to the funeral. I do think that my in-laws were trying to be kind and helpful. I do not think that they had ill intent. I just think that they are clueless. And I find it hard to be around clueless people that I have to explain and defend myself to.




8 comments:

Jodi Lansink said...

Well Said! I also chose to be better not bitter! Although----hard sometimes----but working on it!

Holly said...

I am definitely choosing to be a better person. I know bitterness will get me nowhere and only make the pain worse. There was a verse that stuck out to me at church yesterday and I was going to post about it but never got around to it. Maybe today.

Emmy said...

Better, not bitter. For if we turn bitter, what would be the point of our suffering? How would that honor the loved one? If we *choose* to diminish ourselves through this process, rather than grow, then we have truly missed the opportunity offered to us.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

You are giving us all some great words....I want to be BETTER and not bitter....but I know I have to choose.....Your words are healing words.

Tina said...

Isn't it wonderful when a church sermon reflects what is happening in your life. Beautiful!

Celia said...

Great words to remember....It is a CHOICE. There are times when the reality of our situation crashes over me and causes me to only see the dark side of things. But, for the most part, I am CHOOSING to see the good in things. I wrestle with God every day, every moment. I am really struggling with the purpose of all of this. I know God understands my pain though. He too lost his child. And even though the circumstances were vastly different (He chose to give up his son for all of us while I would have chosen for Noah to live had I been given that choice to make) he still understands my heartache. So while it is a moment to moment struggle, I CHOOSE to be a better person....
Great insight! Thanks Trisha

MommyIvy said...

Great post!

Veronica said...

Trisha,

First of all, I'm sorry I've missed your posts these last couple of days. I haven't been blogging much.

The sermon at your church on Sunday was certainly food for though. It is definitly much easier to remain bitter instead of better. It is really on by God's love that our hearts can be open to seeing things in a positive way after loss.

After reading the post before this one, all I can say is that I am just so sorry that you had to endure such an awful experience at the funeral. It is hard to understand why people who are family would be that way. I am so sorry that people that should be the closest to you failed again. Having your friend there was truly a blessing.

P.S. Just wanted to tell you that Alyssa and I prayed for you yesterday! :)