Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just what I hoped for


When I started this blog, my intention was to send it to all of our friends and family. I felt like I needed to teach them what to do when someone loses a child or experiences a tragedy. Obviously they didn't know as evidenced by their actions (or lack of action). After much prayer, I received input from my husband and a close friend that this was not my job. My words might hurt them and when God thought that they were ready, He would teach them this lesson.

So, I just started my blog not knowing who it might help. At first, not too many people read it -- 161 total in the first week. But then a handful of people posted links to it from their blogs and now 9 weeks later almost 3,000 people have seen it. That's a very small number compared to many other blogs out there. But, that's really amazing to me. Of course, not everyone actually "reads" my blog but still, my thoughts and experiences have been able to touch other peoples lives. Many others.

Yesterday, I noticed over 100 people logged on. This was a very large number considering that I haven't posted for 3 days. So, I looked to see where they were coming from. I noticed that they came from a website called THE BUMP.COM. It's a website for pregnant women and is an extension of THE KNOT.COM.

It took a while for me to figure out how they were getting to my site from this one but at 10:57 last night, I figured it out. Someone had posted a question in the forum section asking for advice on what to do for a friend who's baby died. Many people responded. Most with the typical bring a meal, send a card type stuff. But then someone posted this:


Meals helped us. There is a lady who had a loss and she wrote a whole blog about how to help.. hope she doesn't mind me posting here, but maybe you can find an idea there..
http://lookingforbluesky.blogspot.com/2009/06/drowning.html


Isn't that cool? That's just what I hoped for. I hoped that by putting our experience and my suggestions out there, people would use it as a reference. That they would send it to people who are in that situation. I can't believe that's what actually happened. It just melted my heart. Oh, how I hope that it helped that woman who lost her child. My heart just aches for anyone going through this.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was the one who posted that on thebump's board. What you wrote, what you write, is what's in my heart. We've had so many of the same experiences with close friends and family not knowing what to do, so they do nothing. I came across your blog from Monica's blog... Just reading your words helped me feel just a little bit less alone in the world right now. Blessings to you.

Jennifer

Jodi Lansink said...

Your blog has helped me too, to realize that I am a lucky one, that has great support, I assumed before, that everyone did, but now I think I have a greater respect for all those in my life that have stepped up! I still feel terrible that others, like yourself, didn't have the same support----I also must say, that I think it gives me a HUGE understanding of how I myself will help in the case I need to be there for a friend, family member, neighbor--anyone.

Thanks for deciding to write the blog---you are helping many people!

Jennifer said...

Praise the Lord that He's using you and this blog to be a help in time of need for people. What a blessing that is!

Still praying for you...

Veronica said...

That is just amazing Trisha! God is using you for his glory! Your post "Drowning" was one of the most moving posts I've ever read. You're helping me to see just how important it is to be there for someone in their time of need.

About your comment from earlier, you are right. Our lives took such different turns. You have given me a different perspective on life for sure...

Holly said...

I am so glad that your blog is reaching others. I hope more people can come and read your posts and learn how to support others.

I pray that this week and the next will be good ones for you.

Rebecca said...

I have told several people about your 'grief like drowning'. It just makes so much sense to me. I love your blog. Really.

And yes, this is very cool. That you are helping people, hopefully MANY more, to understand grief better.

Praying for you during your 'reprieve' and the days to come.

Bea said...

Trisha, your blog is helping so many people.

I'm glad that it is getting the exposure it deserves.

Celia said...

Your blog helps...definitely.

Emmy said...

You've accomplished what all of us DBM's hope for - that our baby's death wouldn't be in vain. Congratulations - you have arrived! :)

You're in my daily TTC prayers....

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

That's amazing. I love how the Lord works...and how He uses us to offer comfort to others. You are a beautiful example of that, Tricia. If you would like me to add your "drowning" post to the MckLinky on Walking With You, I would be glad to. Just email me, and let me know: sufficientgraceministries@gmail.com

If you do ever want to participate in Walking With You, it's easy. Just write a post about that week's subject, copy and paste the Walking With You Button code located on my sidebar, under the pic (I can email this to you, if you are having trouble.)into your post. Publish your post on your blog like you normally would. Come back to my blog and click on the MckLinky at the bottom of the post. Put your name where it says Title. Then put your blog address in the part where it says URL. Submit and your link will appear. Let me know if you have any other questions. And, thank you for being such a blessing to other moms who walk this path.

Love and Prayers,
Kelly

R said...

I'm so glad your words have been heard and families touched because of them. I hope more people will hear and reach out to those of us who are drowning. I know it doesn't erase your pain but I hope it brought some healing.

Corie said...

I just found your blog. I had my 5th child a year and half ago. He passed away after just 23 hours. His name was Larson. Great name! Praying for you and your family. Thanks for sharing your story. I will be praying for you during your reprieve week.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is beautiful news. Anytime you can help others you know that God is there leading the way. You must be very proud that your words are touching other.