Today, I took my kids to Disneyland for a few hours. We live only 25 minutes away and have annual passes so we are frequent visitors. We've been trying to stay busy this week since my husband has been spending all day, every day with his dad. I thought that this would be a good distraction for all of us. Disney Corporation markets Disneyland as "the happiest place on earth". I agree for the most part. It is pretty happy. But while we were at "the happiest place on earth", my husband called to say that his dad had "checked out". I suddenly had a new perspective. The words that he chose were actually pretty profound. In reality, his dad checked out of this life and he's the one that checked into "the happiest place on earth -- Heaven".
Even Disneyland can't compare to Heaven. It's hard to imagine what it's like there. I think about it a lot now that it's the place where my son lives. I wish that I knew more about it. I wish that I could see what it was like. I wish that I could have a glimpse of Nate. I wish that I could visit just for a moment. But, that's where faith comes in. If we could see all of that...we wouldn't need faith.
I do know that I am sad, angry and jealous. It's not fair that my father-in-law gets to be with Nate and I don't. I'm really having a hard time with that one. He's my son and I should be the one that knows everything about him. And yet, I know nothing.
I'm anticipating this week to be tough. I have a lot of anxiety about the funeral and about seeing his family for the first time. It will be good when it's over.
By the way, if you haven't left a comment on my post "Please pray for Katie", please do so. I really want to fill it up so that I can send it to her parents. I know how much it helped us when we were fighting for Nate's life to hear that people all over the country were praying for him. I just want to do the same for them.
9 comments:
Oh, how I long for Heaven too, knowing that my daughter lives there. I am so sorry about the passing of your FIL and will be praying for your anxiety in the days to come. Thanks for reminding me that the happiest place isn't on earth.
thank you for offering that to Katie's family. I know that we spill out for others now..and we still cling to the hope that people will do the same things for us..(remembering us without having to remind them, etc). But it's a beautiful offering nonetheless.
Praying for your heart as you celebrate dad in laws life. and his resurrection. Praying for you to see glimpses of joy in the sorrow and even tho there is pain in the offering, blessed be the name of the Lord.
peace and grace,
c.
I am so sorry about your father-in-law. I pray for your family during this difficult time. He is with our Lord. Amen to that!
I also live about 25 minutes away from Disneyland!
The paradox of a Christian death - I'm rejoicing for your FIL, and grieving for your family. We'll be praying for you guys. :)
Have you ever read Heaven by Randy Alcorn? That book has brought me so much peace, knowing what Leila's world is like now.
Loving you, sister...
I am so sorry for the loss of your father-in-law. Please extend my condolences to your husband...
I can imagine you being a tad bit jealous that he gets to be with Nate before you. I feel that way often about all the other family that is heaven with my son instead of me. The only words of comfort I can think of, is that Nate is being taken great care of in heaven, and your other beautiful children need you here. It still doesn't make it suck any less.
I will be praying for you this week. I hope your week isn't as hard as you are anticipating it to be. I pray God wraps his hand of peace around you. ((HUGS))
I am so sorry to hear about your father-in-law and will continue to pray for you and your family.
I am sorry for the loss of your FIL. I will keep you all in my prayers. May the Lord be with you when you feel weak. ((hugs))
So sorry for the loss of your FIL. You will be in my prayers.
On a side note---how lucky that your kids get to go to Disneland on a regluar basis!!! We have been saving and saving for a trip to Disney World---we will get there someday!!! :)
Hope you are having a GOOD DAY! :)
I'm very sorry for your loss. Please pass along my condolenses to your whole family.
I understand what you are saying about being jealous that your FIL will be with Nate. I feel that way everything I hear that someone has "checked out."
I wish I could be in Heaven with my daughter, I know that one day I will be and that is what keeps me going.
Post a Comment