skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Checked off
I survived my first funeral. It's done, it's over, it's checked off of my list. I actually did better than I thought that I would. This entire week I was feeling weak and insecure. I was terrified of what people might say to me and how I might respond. It was consuming me. On Thursday, I met with a wonderful friend who I consider to be a Christian mentor. For some reason, she can say the hard stuff to me and I actually appreciate it. In fact, I welcome it. And that's exactly what she did. She reminded me that this wasn't about me. That I needed to support my husband while he buried his father. That I needed to stop pulling him away from his family no matter the reason (but she did agree that their offenses were inconceivable). That I needed to act how God wanted me to act : with love and compassion.So that's exactly what I decided to do. I physically lifted my head up, ruffled my feathers for protection and started practicing how I was going to respond to every question that I could imagine being asked. I practiced with my friend and then by myself all throughout the night on Thursday (I didn't sleep well). I was determined to be friendly, polite and happy ... or at least that's the impression that I wanted everyone to have of me.Luckily, my dear friend from Northern Ca. had offered to fly in for the day to protect me...I mean go with me. That helped my confidence too. My husband is a wonderful man but he has never been good at protecting me from his family. The kids and I decided not to go to the morning burial at the military cemetery an hour away. None of us were up for the images and memories that would come from that. I felt bad that my husband had to drive out to the cemetery alone and that I wouldn't be able to hold his hand as he said his final goodbye's to his father, but he understood. So, the kids and I met him at the Memorial Service in the afternoon. We arrived 10 minutes late (I'm never late but it was a CRAZY morning) and by then it was standing room only in the back. So that's where we stood.The service was nice. Many wonderful things were said and felt. Then a couple of family members spoke about how important "family" was to his Dad. That nothing could ever be said to justify breaking the "family" apart. About how his dad always overlooked offenses that were made against him and forgave family members. I looked at my friend and said "are they talking about us"? It really seemed like the focus of the eulogy turned to reconciling us with the family. Even my husband mentioned that it was a strange speech that seemed pointed in that direction. Then another family member spoke about how we shouldn't be sad that his dad died because he is in Heaven. He said that we shouldn't mourn his death but should instead celebrate his life. It sounded like he was speaking directly to us when he further explained that though they will miss his dad, we shouldn't focus on the loss and we should get on and live a happy life. I will add that this person has two healthy boys -- one being a newborn. He has never experienced a tragedy and to my knowledge has never had to bury anyone under 70 years old. I just don't understand how anyone can give others advice when they haven't walked in their shoes. And I might add that this is an extremely strong Christian family that should be familiar with Ecclesiastes 3:4 There is a time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance. Even God says it's okay to grieve.I haven't seen these people since we begged them (in person) for help last Summer and they walked away and we didn't hear from them again for many months. How could they possibly have the nerve to say those things? I don't know why I was shocked -- I should have expected nothing less. But I was. I never anticipated this at all. After the service, I waited in the lobby area with my kids -- using the excuse that I had to keep an eye on them. My husband was busy making his way around to all of the guests. I barely saw him and was so glad that I had a friend by my side so I wasn't alone. Some of the family members trickled out to say hello. Many didn't and that was fine with me. I was extremely polite and friendly (my friend confirmed this). I was so proud of myself. I congratulated everyone on their new babies (everyone in that family under 45 is either pregnant or has a new baby) and told them how nice it was to see them. Many commented on how big my kids were now and I wanted so badly to say "What do you expect? You haven't seen them for over a year". But I didn't. I just simply nodded and decided to take the high road. After 3 hours (yes, I lasted 3 hours), we decided to leave. One of the family members chased us down to tell us that they were having everyone over to their house for a gathering and would really like us to come. She put a lot of pressure on me. It was very uncomfortable. I explained that I had a friend in town and wouldn't be able to go but that my husband would be joining them. She was disappointed and strongly encouraged me to come with my friend. I realized after that his family has absolutely no clue what we are going through. The fact that they would use a memorial to try and correct the dissention in the family (that THEY caused) and tell us how to move on from our grief was a shock to me. Even more of a shock was the fact that they would expect me to come to a family gathering filled with people that completely bailed on us and that would include 1 toddler (born 4 months before Nate), 1 baby, 2 newborns and 1 pregnant sister. How is that even possible? On top of it all, I realized just how little importance Nate had in their lives. When Nate died unexpectedly, not one of them came over to our house (they all gathered together at someone else's house to pray and for fellowship). None of them hosted a reception for us after the funeral. Not one of them followed us home to make sure that we were okay after we buried our son (as a side note someone did "drop" off a meal for that night). It was hard for me to see the "family" unite and do all of those things AND MORE for his dad. They were surrounding his mom constantly and giving her tons of support. I understand that they knew and loved his dad and had many memories with him. I understand that it was a different circumstance. But honestly, our son was a Larson. He was family. And even if they didn't care about him, it would have been nice if they would have done those things for us -- no doubt that they do know us.
11 comments:
I can't believe that they did that. I can't believe all that they didn't do when you lost your son. How can they live with themselves.
How can they claim to be Christians. I am so sorry for all that you have been through. I am so proud of you, you did an excellent job going and spending 3 hours there. How wonderful to have such a dear friend that was able to attend with you. That is a true friend.
I have found that often during the worst times it has been my friends who came through for me.
Take care and God Bless.
Trisha - I am so proud of you for seeking help, guidance, and strength in the places were you knew you could find them. You have been through so much. Congratulations on completing another hurdle. God Bless You!
i too, am so proud of you for running to a safe place, checking in with "wise counsel" and seeking the Lord in every step. While we are human (heck, HE made us that way!) we are called to forgive and i see you trying, even in the face of REPEAT offenses! I get you, friend! I gladly cover you in prayer as you begin to "forget" words spoken and more words unspoken. My prayer for you is that you will be able to shake off the parts that don't matter, find lessons and grace in parts that do, and love deeper still day after day. I look forward to the day with you, when God speaks directly to their hearts and convicts them (and us...we need it too, we know)...but that remorse comes..someday. But if it doesn't, we know that God really is ....enough.
loveu.
c.
So many times, well all the time, it has been friends and not family that have been with my family in tough times..You are doing a great job of being very transparent.....Love your blog
I am so glad your friend was able to be with. It is nice to have people like her to lean on in difficult times.
I would not have gone to the family member's house who invited you over either. To see all of those pregnant women and the babies would be so hard.
I am glad this hurdle has been "checked off" the list. Take care Trisha.
First of all, I am so proud of you. And I am SSOOO glad your friend flew in to be with you. After reading your post, I can see why you were so nervous about the funeral. But you got through it... what a feat!
I was very disappointed how we were treated after Wyatt passed away. *Most* people treated us the same way. Almost as if our grief wasn't validated because of the short time we received with our son. Shouldn't we grieve all the more BECAUSE we DON'T have the memories of who they were or what they were able to do in life, to sustain us?
I am so sorry your husband's family is treating you this way. It sad when an entire family just "doesn't get it". Don't forget, you have a family here that loves and cares for you and your family... and that includes Nate. Praying for you and sending hugs.
Trisha - I don't know how you happened to stumble upon my blog, but I wanted to thank you for the very kinds words of encouragement that you left. I am truly sorry about the loss of your son. A loss at any stage (in-utero or after birth) is very traumatic and sad. I wish you and your family the best and will keep you all in my prayers.
Maaaaan, Trisha, you must have had teeth marks in your tongue for hoooours! Good for you!
And their behavior is reprehensible, while yours was commendable. I hope you take some pride in that.
Loving you.... :)
Trisha,
I was so wondering how the funeral went!! I commend you for being able to rise above and be there for your husband, even though it certainly wasn't easy to be around everyone who had abandoned you! I think it's great you have that friend that can tell you the hard stuff. That had to make you feel so much better to have a friend there with you the whole 3 hours (and I can't believe you were able to put up with it that long! Go you!!).
And OH..MY..GOSH.... I cannot believe they had the nerve to talk about that during the eulogy!! To me, that is very inappropriate and I honestly don't know how you managed to stand there, let alone stay for as long as you did. You deserve a tremendous pat on the back.
I don't blame you a bit for not going to the family gathering afterward. There's no doubt that I wouldn't have went. I hope one day they can realize how much they hurt your family and how important Nate's life is.
I am just so proud of you! Love you!
Trisha....my heart breaks for you. I cannot believe you have been treated like this. I can't for a second pretend like I know, beacuase although we have went through the same pain of losing our babies, I have had help...and I guess I assumed everyone else did too. I am truly sorry for your pain...you are lucky to be the proud mommy of little Nate---and my heart breaks for you. If it isn't hard enough to go through this, I couldnt' imagine doing it alone. You are a STRONG WOMAN!!!!!! I admire your courage of starting this blog, I really love to read what you write----and I am sure you have helped SO MANY people, I just wish there was something I could do for you!!! I will pray though----for continued comfort and moving forward---with the sweet memories of your precious baby boy!!!!
Trisha, I didn't have another way to get in touch....I wanted to tell you....Immediately after I posted that, the waves crashed and the tears fell. I got a distressing call from my mom. I have kind of cut her out of my life for the moment. She is going through a deep depression (with lots of reasons) but always feels the need to call me to unload. I finally told her today that I couldn't be THAT person for her any longer. But having that conversation with her just brought all the tears and pain back.
You were right. The healing is so moment to moment. I DO still feel pretty good (other than feeling like a lousy daughter) and the pain is still manageable but I have no expectations that tomorrow will be a good day (or a bad day for that matter).
I do know that clinging to my faith in God is the just about the only thing holding me up right now. I miss my worship time & quiet time with him. Right now, I can't seem to focus enough to do either one. And we are like you in that we have yet to step foot in church. If we ever do go back to church, I doubt we will go back to the one we were going to before Noah was born. Too much disappointment there. Long story.
Thank you again for always understanding and having the right words. I prayed so hard that the funeral would be "easy" on you. I'm sorry that it turned out like it did.....We know that your family had the best of intentions. As my sister put it, sometimes we just don't know what to say or how to react to things and I'm sure that was true for your family as well. It sucks that losing someone makes you "tough" to be around....and so totally unfair....because that is when you most need someone to come hold you.
BTW, I don't think I ever told you but I think your baby Nate is just the most beautiful boy! So adorable. I am so very sorry for....well...everything. I HATE that anyone has to go through something like this.....
Post a Comment